Fernandinho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fernandinho is a confusing one. He did have a good match today but with saying that, he was one of the weakest performers in our side today. I am still very on the fence with him. Some blue's are jumping the gun with some of their praise I feel. I think most of it comes from some WANTING Fernandinho to be amazing instead of him actually being that. It seems that his purpose in the side is to defend but every time he gets the ball from the center-half and takes a touch, I worry. He seems to have a heavy touch and has lost the ball needlessly in a number of worrying positions. I definitely see him as an upgrade but IMO not a really drastic upgrade. He for me seems to be stronger going forward than defending and the fact he is playing almost as a defensive mid makes me question why we didn't get a hard hitting DM. I really hope he can improve from his performances this season.

itisrising said:
Fernandinho is a confusing one. He did have a good match today but with saying that, he was one of the weakest performers in our side today. I am still very on the fence with him. Some blue's are jumping the gun with some of their praise I feel. I think most of it comes from some WANTING Fernandinho to be amazing instead of him actually being that. It seems that his purpose in the side is to defend but every time he gets the ball from the center-half and takes a touch, I worry. He seems to have a heavy touch and has lost the ball needlessly in a number of worrying positions. I definitely see him as an upgrade but IMO not a really drastic upgrade. He for me seems to be stronger going forward than defending and the fact he is playing almost as a defensive mid makes me question why we didn't get a hard hitting DM. I really hope he can improve from his performances this season.

He isn't a defensive midfielder but he is being asked to perform that role so as Yaya can express himself.I believe we would perform better with just one of them in the team as they are similar in their approach and are not an ideal combo imo.

The problem is how can we have a player of his calibre(and expense...) sat on the bench? I've got to agree though,maybe a player with a purely defensive mindset might have been a more logical buy.<br /><br />-- 05 Oct 2013 21:41 --<br /><br />
6one said:
Then again, he does still get criticised for being lazy. Wonder why...

You don't know when to button it do you?

itisrising said:

i think the problem is that he has played too many games. he is not fresh. he needs a good rest.

Manchester City's £30million midfielder Fernandinho is feeling homesick, writes Dean Jones of the Sunday People.

The Brazilian admits he is lonely at the Etihad without any countrymen – and says he cannot understand any English so has no idea what his team-mates are talking about.

His only friends in the city are Brazilians Rafael and Anderson – who play for rivals Manchester United.

And it has all added up to a difficult start to life in the Premier League for the former Shakhtar Donetsk man, who misses his old life in Ukraine.

He said: “When I was playing at Shakhtar there were other Brazilian footballers, but here at Man City there aren’t any.

“It is a little complicated because I don’t speak English so when my team-mates are talking in English I don’t understand what they are talking about.

“When I was at Shakhtar, I had Brazilian team-mates and I used to spend time with them, but here I’m alone. I see and talk with Rafael and Anderson but not all the time. So yes, I miss Ukraine sometimes.”

But the 28-year-old said he has no intention of heading back to his homeland – unless it is for the World Cup.

Fernandinho added: “I came to England because I thought it would help me to get back in the Brazilian national team.

“I’m not thinking about moving back to Brazil as I want to end my career in Europe, and I think about playing 10 more years

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk <a class="postlink" href="http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-citys-30million-midfielder-fernandinho-2343515#ixzz2gtDDJQT5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... z2gtDDJQT5</a>
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

His defensive contributions are being underrated already. He's averaging 3.65 successful tackles and 2.75 successful interceptions per game for us (PL + CL), which is top European class. The only problem with Fernandinho is he isn't a traditional holding midfielder (that's supposed to be Garcia, but he is poor) and played alongside one at Shakhtar so is being transitioned into a different role right now. If we ever played a 3 with a real destroyer screening the back four, our midfield would be beastly.

Here's some comparisons to Fernandinho (3.65 tackles, 2.75 interceptions) from a list I made late last season (can't be bothered doing one for this season so far at this hour):

Vidal: 5.1 tackles, 1.4 interceptions
Lucas Leiva: 4.6 tackles, 2.5 interceptions
Lars Bender: 4.3 tackles, 2.7 interceptions
Ramires: 3.4 tackles, 1.6 interceptions
Sandro: 3.3 tackles, 3.6 interceptions
Matuidi: 3.3 tackles, 3.6 interceptions
Arteta: 3.3 tackles, 2.8 interceptions
Alonso: 3.3 tackles, 2 interceptions
Busquets: 2.9 tackles, 1.6 interceptions
Pirlo: 2.7 tackles, 1.4 interceptions
Luis Gustavo: 2.6 tackles, 1.6 interceptions
Gundogan: 2.4 tackles, 2.3 interceptions
Carrick: 2.4 tackles, 2.2 interceptions
De Jong: 2.4 tackles, 1.3 interceptions
Inler: 2.4 tackles, 1.1 interceptions
Song: 2 tackles, 2.1 interceptions
Barry: 2 tackles, 1.6 interceptions
Yaya: 1.2 tackles, 0.9 interceptions
Javi Garcia: 1.1 tackles, 1.2 interceptions

I thought he played well today. Gave the ball away cheaply once or twice, but is still adapting to the league and will continue to improve.

My only concern at the moment, with Rodwell's injury problems and Garcia's incompetence, is that he and Yaya have to start every league and European game at present. This is clearly not sustainable. Time for Milner to get games in centre mid to ease the burden, as it's arguably his best position and we're well covered in wide/attacking positions with Silva, Nasri, Navas and Jovetic.

Ric said:
I thought he played well today. Gave the ball away cheaply once or twice, but is still adapting to the league and will continue to improve.

My only concern at the moment, with Rodwell's injury problems and Garcia's incompetence, is that he and Yaya have to start every league and European game at present. This is clearly not sustainable. Time for Milner to get games in centre mid to ease the burden, as it's arguably his best position and we're well covered in wide/attacking positions with Silva, Nasri, Navas and Jovetic.

for me we still lack a decent ball winner

Ric said:

Agree with this.

This is why it is correct to question letting Barry go for the lack of cover.

I was surprised that Fernandinho & Toure played at Villa last week. I expected that having been given a half each against Wigan to be rested for Bayern when they were left exposed and overrun - no fault of theirs.

Clearly they did a half each v wigan for precisely the reason Ric stated, there's no one else.

I thought he was very good today. Had to deal with several dangerous counters, and with his pace was able to intercept the killer pass in the counters.

I find it hard to find too much wrong with this player. His time at Shaktar made him a leader so you can tell he doesn't like losing...probably why he works so hard. Good pro attitude.

I don't think we've really replaced de Jong or Barry. Rodwell could potentially do the job if he can shake off the injuries that have blighted him, and I think Milner's up to it if Pellegrini gives him the chance, but a genuine ball winner in the squad wouldn't go amiss. Presumably they hoped Garcia would be the man, but it's clearly not worked out as hoped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.