Fernando

Status
Not open for further replies.
thesilvalining said:
That article says rodwell was fit for virtually the entire of the last campaign so should we really listen to that?
Rodwell was fit last 8-10 matches mate.

aguero93:20 said:
ifiwasarichfan said:
Is he playing at the World Cup?
No, FIFA refused to register him for Portugal (bit strange) and Brazil weren't picking him.

He can't switch nationality as he wasn't eligible for Portugal when he played U20 football with Brazil, you can only switch between countries you are eligible for when you played for the underage sides, i.e. if someone like Danny Murphy was eligible for Ireland and England but chose to play for England U21s he could still switch to Ireland if he hadn't played in a full competitive international for England.

I believe this restriction is to stop rich countries from picking up players who have not been capped at full level, say Qatar offering the entire Brazil U21s squad a huge amount of money to switch nationality.

gwt said:
thesilvalining said:
That article says rodwell was fit for virtually the entire of the last campaign so should we really listen to that?
Rodwell was fit last 8-10 matches mate.
Virtually the entire season though? Bet he's been unavailable more than he has been available

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/22/bacary-sagna-sign-manchester-city-arsenal?CMP=twt_gu

City are also understood to be close to signing Porto’s Fernando for around £20m, though the move to land his team-mate, Eliaquim Mangala, still requires further work.

We should hire some of Porto's management team and let them take care of our transfer business.

The excuses regarding him signing new contract doesn't make sense at all.

pavelsrnicek said:
ifiwasarichfan said:
Is he playing at the World Cup?
No, FIFA refused to register him for Portugal (bit strange) and Brazil weren't picking him.

He can't switch nationality as he wasn't eligible for Portugal when he played U20 football with Brazil, you can only switch between countries you are eligible for when you played for the underage sides, i.e. if someone like Danny Murphy was eligible for Ireland and England but chose to play for England U21s he could still switch to Ireland if he hadn't played in a full competitive international for England.

I believe this restriction is to stop rich countries from picking up players who have not been capped at full level, say Qatar offering the entire Brazil U21s squad a huge amount of money to switch nationality.

How come Diego Costa has a full cap for Brazil and has now played for Spain ?

ifiwasarichfan said:
pavelsrnicek said:

Because he has only played friendlies for the Brazilian national team and has never played a competitive match for Brazil for the full side or any under age Brazilian national team. Friendlies don't matter a damn.

pavelsrnicek said:
ifiwasarichfan said:
pavelsrnicek said:

Because he has only played friendlies for the Brazilian national team and has never played a competitive match for Brazil for the full side or any under age Brazilian national team. Friendlies don't matter a damn.
Usually though they're very relaxed with countries that had old colonial realtionships i.e Portugal and Brazil. Either way, Fernando must have thought that he had grounds to qualify for the Portuguese national team and since he's never played for the Brazilian senior team and been in Portugal for more than 5 years, it's a strange decision by FIFA to let Costa qualify for Spain but Fernando not to qualify for Portugal.

Edit: Underage matches don't count either, both Aidan McGeady and James McCarthy played at all underage levels for Scotland and represent the R.O.I. National team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.