Fernando

Status
Not open for further replies.
aguero93:20 said:
pavelsrnicek said:
ifiwasarichfan said:
How come Diego Costa has a full cap for Brazil and has now played for Spain ?

Because he has only played friendlies for the Brazilian national team and has never played a competitive match for Brazil for the full side or any under age Brazilian national team. Friendlies don't matter a damn.
Usually though they're very relaxed with countries that had old colonial realtionships i.e Portugal and Brazil. Either way, Fernando must have thought that he had grounds to qualify for the Portuguese national team and since he's never played for the Brazilian senior team and been in Portugal for more than 5 years, it's a strange decision by FIFA to let Costa qualify for Spain but Fernando not to qualify for Portugal.

Edit: Underage matches don't count either, both Aidan McGeady and James McCarthy played at all underage levels for Scotland and represent the R.O.I. National team.
Yes, but at the time they played for Scotland's underage sides, they also qualified for R.O.I.

When Fernando played for Brazil U20s, he didn't qualify for Portigal.

kenzie115 said:
pavelsrnicek said:
Because he has only played friendlies for the Brazilian national team and has never played a competitive match for Brazil for the full side or any under age Brazilian national team. Friendlies don't matter a damn.
Usually though they're very relaxed with countries that had old colonial realtionships i.e Portugal and Brazil. Either way, Fernando must have thought that he had grounds to qualify for the Portuguese national team and since he's never played for the Brazilian senior team and been in Portugal for more than 5 years, it's a strange decision by FIFA to let Costa qualify for Spain but Fernando not to qualify for Portugal.

Edit: Underage matches don't count either, both Aidan McGeady and James McCarthy played at all underage levels for Scotland and represent the R.O.I. National team.
Yes, but at the time they played for Scotland's underage sides, they also qualified for R.O.I.

Diego Costa only qualified for the Spain team in 2013. FIFA rules state clearly that you are free to change allegiance after playing at youth level so it's a strange call and the wrong one imo.

George Hannah said:
I'm surprised he thought he wouldn't get in the Brazil team ahead of the likes of Paulinho and Ramires
I'm not, Scolari has always had his favourites and his sweethearts, once you're in his selection it's very hard for anyone to knock you out of it, great achievement by Dinho this season but he probably wouldn't have picked Fernando, he was playing Fred and Jo ahead of Diego Costa and some other quality Brazilian strikers ffs! :)

kenzie115 said:

Diego Costa only qualified for the Spain team in 2013. FIFA rules state clearly that you are free to change allegiance after playing at youth level so it's a strange call and the wrong one imo.
what reason did they give - was there one made public?

George Hannah said:
kenzie115 said:

Not that I know of but it seems to be a bit of a lash out at Porto for making him sign that contract, they threatened him fairly publicly and the Portuguese FA pay for call ups? I could be wrong.

George Hannah said:
kenzie115 said:

Kenzie115 has it correct, Diego Costa could switch as he had never played a competitive match for Brazil at any level, so he could switch, Fernando played for Brazil U20s and wasn't eligible for any other national side at the time so he was stuck with Brazil as a his national team. The rules are in place to stop talented kids being tapped up by richer nations.

pavelsrnicek said:
George Hannah said:

Kenzie115 has it correct, Diego Costa could switch as he had never played a competitive match for Brazil at any level, so he could switch, Fernando played for Brazil U20s and wasn't eligible for any other national side at the time so he was stuck with Brazil as a his national team. The rules are in place to stop talented kids being tapped up by richer nations.
Sorry, I've checked the rule, it states that unless Fernando applied to change nationality before his 21st birthday, it was at the discretion of FIFA because he'd played at youth level. If he'd applied before he turned 21 he would have been fine.

pavelsrnicek said:
George Hannah said:

Sorry, I've checked the rule, it states that unless Fernando applied to change nationality before his 21st birthday, it was at the discretion of FIFA because he'd played at youth level. If he'd applied before he turned 21 he would have been fine.

Yes, that is correct. And in terms of FIFA's discretion it is a ludicrous situation. Brazil and Portugal have colonial links and there have been many players who have played for Portugal with Brazilian origin. Moving to Spain and suddenly deciding - well Brazil wont pick me but Spain might so I will play for them... that seems absurd. I am surprised Spain have taken him in as well. They hated Senna because he was black. I know a lot of Spaniards who think it isn't possible to be both black and Spanish. Being Brazilian and good at football doesn't seem to bother them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.