Ferran Soriano & Txiki Begiristain

Status
Not open for further replies.
No problem with Txiki or Soriano, their track records speak for them, the managers starting to worry me though.

BillyShears said:
PhuketBlue said:
Just as it is to blindly believe one is doing a good job because he's different from the one you wanted out.

Without wanting to put to fine a point on it, I've seen more than enough of Pellegrini's teams down the years to have little concern with what's going on right now.

However, to be clear Mancini needing to be sacked doesn't preclude Pellegrini from being not good enough. It just so happens that I think he's more than good enough. And if it turns out he isn't, I won't be calling for the head of Txiki, Ferran, Khaldoun, or Sheikh Mansoor, just as when I didn't think Mancini was good enough I wasn't calling for anyone's head but his.

Pretty funny you suggesting after 11 games it's rational to have "reservations" when we've already progressed in Europe further than we ever did under the previous manager and the title race is wide open. I can only assume those reservations aren't based on the previous incumbents abilities as he was clearly found wanting on many fronts last season.

So his away form both at City and before that Malaga doesn't worry you?

flb said:

This is the trouble with you guys who just look at numbers on a piece of paper rather than actually spending a bit of time researching the facts behind the figures. You reach systematic damning conclusions which are a long way from reality.

To begin with, why would you look at Malaga's away record when they were a club in a totally different situation than the one City are in. If anything you should avoid talking about Malaga like the plague, because the truth is that at Malaga, just like at Villareal, Pellegrini took nothing teams into the latter stages of the CL whilst still remaining relatively competitive in the domestic league. Malaga supporters were delighted with Pellegrini and his time in charge of them, as were the Villareal supporters. This suggests that they could see that with the limited resources he had, the job he did was excellent.

Better to focus on our away form, which isn't good enough and really needs to fix up tout suite. It's subjective, but for me our performances on the whole have gotten better. The goals we've conceded have been largely down to individual player error rather than any systematic failure on the manager's part. Yes ultimately the responsibility lies with the manager - so if at the end of the season we're still conceding soft goals, still not winning games away from home, and have not won any trophies, then it's fair to have a go. In fact, if we're 12 points off the title in January/February it's fair to have a go.

What I find knee jerk and a bit sad is that it's all going on in November when there are more positives than there are negatives in our progress under Pellegrini and we're still in every competition we've entered. That's already progress on this time last season.

flb said:
BillyShears said:
PhuketBlue said:
Just as it is to blindly believe one is doing a good job because he's different from the one you wanted out.

Without wanting to put to fine a point on it, I've seen more than enough of Pellegrini's teams down the years to have little concern with what's going on right now.

However, to be clear Mancini needing to be sacked doesn't preclude Pellegrini from being not good enough. It just so happens that I think he's more than good enough. And if it turns out he isn't, I won't be calling for the head of Txiki, Ferran, Khaldoun, or Sheikh Mansoor, just as when I didn't think Mancini was good enough I wasn't calling for anyone's head but his.

Pretty funny you suggesting after 11 games it's rational to have "reservations" when we've already progressed in Europe further than we ever did under the previous manager and the title race is wide open. I can only assume those reservations aren't based on the previous incumbents abilities as he was clearly found wanting on many fronts last season.

Yes his away form is a real worry on a lot of levels. A lot is being talked about qualifying in the CL if you look at the draws for the previous 3 seasons under Mancini and this seasons draw Micky Mouse would have got us out of this group

BillyShears said:
flb said:

This is the trouble with you guys who just look at numbers on a piece of paper rather than actually spending a bit of time researching the facts behind the figures. You reach systematic damning conclusions which are a long way from reality.

To begin with, why would you look at Malaga's away record when they were a club in a totally different situation than the one City are in. If anything you should avoid talking about Malaga like the plague, because the truth is that at Malaga, just like at Villareal, Pellegrini took nothing teams into the latter stages of the CL whilst still remaining relatively competitive in the domestic league. Malaga supporters were delighted with Pellegrini and his time in charge of them, as were the Villareal supporters. This suggests that they could see that with the limited resources he had, the job he did was excellent.

Better to focus on our away form, which isn't good enough and really needs to fix up tout suite. It's subjective, but for me our performances on the whole have gotten better. The goals we've conceded have been largely down to individual player error rather than any systematic failure on the manager's part. Yes ultimately the responsibility lies with the manager - so if at the end of the season we're still conceding soft goals, still not winning games away from home, and have not won any trophies, then it's fair to have a go. In fact, if we're 12 points off the title in January/February it's fair to have a go.

What I find knee jerk and a bit sad is that it's all going on in November when there are more positives than there are negatives in our progress under Pellegrini and we're still in every competition we've entered. That's already progress on this time last season.

Don't forget that after we won the league and whilst still in Europe you were calling for Mancini to be replaced - for many there were way more positives than negatives then. At least those expressing concerns now - have 4 points out of 18 to discuss. Yes yes progressing in Europe - but Frank Clark would have got through that group.

GaudinoMotors said:
Don't forget that after we won the league and whilst still in Europe you were calling for Mancini to be replaced - for many there were way more positives than negatives then. At least those expressing concerns now - have 4 points out of 18 to discuss. Yes yes progressing in Europe - but Frank Clark would have got through that group.

Maybe it's just my own sense of right and wrong, but I think there's a world of difference between assessing a manager who's been in charge for three years and trying to assess one who's been in charge for 11 games. Notwithstanding that, Mancini failed to beat Kiev, Ajax, and Napoli, in crucial ties in European competition. This suggests to me there would have been fuck all guarantee he'd have gotten us out of this group. As it stands though, Pellegrini has. To suggest anyone could do it is wildly disingenuous.

BillyShears said:
flb said:

Billy, its commendable that your supporting him, his team selection decisions leave an awful lot to be desired, all of a sudden our back four are no longer good enough and looks like two or three of them will be shifted out sooner or later, facts are Billy they have gone backwards under Pellagrini, you can keep saying its bad luck, Vinny's out etc but this manager isn't renown for his defensive side of the game and its showing.
He keeps playing Kolorov and Garcia when we have better players kicking there heels on the bench-any manager who keeps picking those clowns wont win anything.

Graham Hunter was asked about Pellegrini this morning on Talksport. He knows him having worked with him in Spain. The gist of what he said was that every player he's ever talked to who played for Pellegrini has huge respect for him as a man manager and a tactician. He leads and teams follow. He also said that Pellegrini had highlighted a need for a top class centre back and a top class playmaker to go alongside Silva. City wouldn't pay the cash for Pepe and missed out on Isco, and these have affected us given our injury record. He also believes, just as I do, that these squad deficiencies will be sorted out. He also believes that he's acheived his first objective, he's still in with a big shout of the league, and that we are still his favourites to win it.

Exactly how I see it. Whilst the away form needs to be sorted, and needs to be sorted quick, I have seen enough to believe that it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.