Fifa to clamp down on City and Chelsea business model

I think generally speaking our decisions to release young players have been vindicated. However, I wonder how much players actually develop under the loan system. Obviously getting game time in a professional league is always good, but I wonder how much incentive these teams have to develop our players. Wasn't Brendan Rodgers choosing another player ahead of Roberts at one point specifically because he thought it was more worthwhile to give game time to a youngster that he's going to keep? There's so much money in English football now that even Championship teams are putting out weakened teams in the cups, so it's hard to find anywhere that's willing to be patient with a youngster, especially if another team gets the long term benefits. Our last player to really benefit from the loan system was Joe Hart, and I doubt Birmingham would have snapped him up if he hadn't already completed a season as our first choice goalie.

But let's be honest, a lot of our current loanees are either players who were bought to make a profit or players that have been sent on loan to make room for younger players at the academy. Or bought to benefit our partner clubs, like the two Australians we have on loan at Melbourne.

Just on the first point, look at our deal with NAC Breda to see what's in it for them. (According to the MEN) They get between 4 and 6 players every season, and they get access to our scouting network. We pay all of the wages for the players and all of their development costs. It seems like an incredibly one-sided deal, which suggests that taking on the academy players of another club is more of a burden than an opportunity.

Last edited:
Was there a reason why Sancho didnt even get a sniff during peps first season. Can't remember if he was injured or not.

I can't remember the timeline re Sancho as I stopped going to youth games etc thanks to Pellegrini.

He might just have not been quite ready.

Imo his situation is a result of what happened before & what our method of operating has become.

If we decided tomorrow, that instead of bringing in an army of kids & loaning them, we would bring them in with the intention of using them for City, imo we would see kids playing more games, just because it's what we do. It wouldn't cost us one single point difference either.

This loan rule, IF it applies to kids, may actually improve things for us.

It's what they do next, I'd be more concerned about. This is probably just the first shot.

Was there a reason why Sancho didnt even get a sniff during peps first season. Can't remember if he was injured or not.

Sancho was born on 25.03.2000 so he was just 16 years and 3 months old when Pep came. Clearly considered too young. I am not so sure that Pep has such confidence in young players as some do on here. I get that from my reading of Pep Confidential and from an interview he gave on the City OS in Abu Dhabi when he misunderstood the question. The interviewer was trying to ask him about the very young players in the academy such as those aged 8. Pep thought he meant 18 and he said something along the lines of "people think these players aged 18 are ready. They are not"

I think generally speaking our decisions to release young players have been vindicated. However, I wonder how much players actually develop under the loan system. Obviously getting game time in a professional league is always good, but I wonder how much incentive these teams have to develop our players. Wasn't Brendan Rodgers choosing another player ahead of Roberts at one point specifically because he thought it was more worthwhile to give game time to a youngster that he's going to keep? There's so much money in English football now that even Championship teams are putting out weakened teams in the cups, so it's hard to find anywhere that's willing to be patient with a youngster, especially if another team gets the long term benefits. Our last player to really benefit from the loan system was Joe Hart, and I doubt Birmingham would have snapped him up if he hadn't already completed a season as our first choice goalie.

But let's be honest, a lot of our current loanees are either players who were bought to make a profit or players that have been sent on loan to make room for younger players at the academy. Or bought to benefit our partner clubs, like the two Australians we have on loan at Melbourne.

Just on the first point, look at our deal with NAC Breda to see what's in it for them. (According to the MEN) They get between 4 and 6 players every season, and they get access to our scouting network. We pay all of the wages for the players and all of their development costs. It seems like an incredibly one-sided deal, which suggests that taking on the academy players of another club is more of a burden than an opportunity.

Letting young players go, is not the problem.

Having them here, then them playing excellently, some even going elsewhere & playing excellently, then having barely any of them ever play again as a regular squad player, for our first team, is the problem & anyone looking at that kind of situation from the outside, be it City, Chelsea, any club; if you are not a supporter, you would think it's wrong.

If Chelsea had taken SWP off us when he was 17 & put him in their reserves, then loaned him to Ghent, then brought him back, not played him, sent him to Rotherham, where he struggled, then he turned to shit & ended up at Fleetwood, meanwhile Spurs did similar with Richards, we wouldn't be thinking 'oh they never would have made it anyway' we would think they had ruined two possible top players, who could have stayed with us for longer.

As it was, Chelsea impeded SWP's growth as a player by not using him enough; he was better when he left than when he returned.

Sancho was born on 25.03.2000 so he was just 16 years and 3 months old when Pep came. Clearly considered too young. I am not so sure that Pep has such confidence in young players as some do on here. I get that from my reading of Pep Confidential and from an interview he gave on the City OS in Abu Dhabi when he misunderstood the question. The interviewer was trying to ask him about the very young players in the academy such as those aged 8. Pep thought he meant 18 and he said something along the lines of "people think these players aged 18 are ready. They are not"

They don't have to be 'ready' though do they ? So long as they play some.

They can learn to be 'ready', or be sold if it's not working.

So when will you start blaming Pep (the best manager there is) rather than Pellers?

If he fails to give Foden sufficient game time, during this season.

I already kind of 'blame' him for Angelino & Maffeo, not that I think they are regular first choice starters, just that both would be very useful to have around & he didn't give them enough opportunity.

But, they should have been handed over, by Pellegrini, as options rather than unknowns imo, along with about ten others, for Pep to look at whilst settling in.

If he fails to give Foden sufficient game time, during this season.

I already kind of 'blame' him for Angelino & Maffeo, not that I think they are regular first choice starters, just that both would be very useful to have around & he didn't give them enough opportunity.

But, they should have been handed over, by Pellegrini, as options rather than unknowns imo, along with about ten others, for Pep to look at whilst settling in.

Angelino for one is a far, far better bet at LB than Zinchenko ever will be. It's not even close.

EAsy to get around
Free transfer with a buy back or first refusal at end of season
Classed as sold on books

Whats next?

FIFA and UEFA to clamp down the way way City sells chips at half time after finding its unfair on the way other sides sell chips?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.