First Match Memories??? Help.

March 1970, versus Derby at Maine Rd, I was eight years old. Seeing the pitch and the players, I particularly remember Colin Bell and Glynn Pardoe, for the first time seemed like fantasy. Don't remember too much about the game, other than we lost 1-0 and it could have been two when Terry Hennessey hit the bar with an overhead kick. But the result didn't spoil a momentous day. I remember the strong smell of cigars and, from then, each time I smelt cigar smoke I though of Maine Rd. Being eight, the Kippax kind of swallowed me up and a stranger stood next to us took pity on me and sat me on his shoulders. At half-time, he went to the loo and never came back! I guess I was heavier than he thought, but I'm grateful to him for giving me a great view for the first half. I'll never forget that day, I loved every minute of it.

Despite losing the 81 final, the atmosphere just watching that game on tv made me ask my dad if we could go to a game.
We went to the game v Swansea he season later and won 2-0 or 2-1.
I sat on the perimeter wall at the bottom of the kippax and the size and noise got to me.

Asa Hartford scored an unusual goal. Indirect free kick, so Graham Baker (I think) flicked it up and Asa blasted it into the net.

Its on youtube but I cannot post the link as the site is blocked at work.

All this bring back memories. I think a few weeks (or even a week) later we played villa and lost 1-0.

DEVASTATED ! INCONSOLABLE !

And its a feeling that has never ever left me every time we lose.

That said everytime we win, ECSTATIC !

First Game was 92(i think) against Blackburn got there 15 minutes late and were already 2-0 down Came back to win 3-2 stood on the proper Kippax.
Still cant forget the sight of the pitch when you got to the top of the steps
amazing day

Alex Dutton

City vs QPR at Maine Road in 1993 when I was 10, City won 3-0.

I remember getting really annoyed when everyone around me stood up after the first 2 goals went in so for the third I was prepared. Crouched on top of my seat so that when the goal went in and I stood up I could see over people's heads. It never even occurred to me that we wouldn't get a third goal! Wish I could be that optimistic these days!

First memory of City though is sitting in the back garden with my Dad when I was about 4 or 5 and my Dad listening to the match on the radio. I remember us scoring and him switching the radio off quick and shouting for me to be quiet and as he did this wall of sound echoed round the garden. I remember him jumping up and grinning at me saying that's the crowd from Maine Road, we've scored, City have scored!

That's the day I became a City fan. Knew nothing about football, or City or results etc, just knew how happy my Dad was because we were winning.

My dad took me to City vs Reading in October 1998 in the second division. Being 4 at the time I don't remember much, just remember it raining, us losing 1-0 and Danny Tiatto getting a straight red about 20 minutes into the match.

(suppose you could say football fans love their club regardless of how shit it is)

1983 v west ham , dont remember that much apart from sitting in theold platt lane and think it was 3-1 to us. anybody know the scorers?<br /><br />-- Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:28 pm --<br /><br />actually re the west ham 83 home game , spoke to me dad and we reckon it was 2-0 city, cant remember the scores tho, maybe grayham baker?

ardwickboy said:
Hi cityboy, can I say good luck with your project, we hope you come back and let us know how you get on with it.

My 1st game was in November 1960 when on off my Uncles took me to Maine Road to watch City play Blackburn Rovers and we won 4-0 so that got me hooked on City. In them days most people used to go to Maine Road one week with their friends and the following week then go to Old Trafford, but even though I was going to Old Trafford aswell, City was my club, so I had to take some stick when we got relegated in 1963 along with Leyton Orient.
I was also at a school that had a big United following because Nobby Stiles, Brian Kidd(who i used to play football with) and the Headmaster Laurence Cassidy played for United. I remember in 1963 Nobby Stiles came to the school to talk to the pupils and he even asked me why I supported City, so I said one day they will be better than United, even he laughed at that, well he won't be laughing much longer.
Who did Brian Kidd support?

My first game was November the 6th 1971, City 3 Rags 3. Stood in the Kippax next to the Platt Lane. Got knocked off the bar when they scored the first and our kid took me to get a hotdog. Went back and watched the most fantastic game unfold, and especially remember Franny Lee diving on the floor to show the ref what George Best had actually done. Great game, great atmosphere and never looked back since..

Hi, My first match was in 1961, I had never, ever been to a football match before and went along with my, then, boyfriend on his motorbike to Maine Road. In those days lots sof people went to the game on bikes and motorbikes and many of the people who lived on Claremont Road (which if you don't know rkuns along by where the Maine Road Stadium used to be). He we left our motorbike in someones backyard and paid half-a-crown (12halfpence in todays money) to park up and when we went to get the bike back after the game we got a cup of tea and a biscuit. City played Tottenham that day and although they got beat I absolutely loved the atmosphere at the stadium, there used to be a brass band that played at half-time, Beswick Prize Band, and most of the crowd sang along to the songs they played. That day I became a Blue, much to my dad and brothers' disgust as they were Reds. Our sons became blues and our grandchildren are all blues. I am fortunate that I have been to Wembley a couple of times. I knew Colin Bell when he was just a young lad and an amazing player. Great memories, and I have never, ever, regretted a day of becoming a City Supporter. Incidentally, an abridged version of this text is near aisle 128 on the concourse. Good luck with your project. (Denise Thomas)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.