Fish And Chips

Back in the early sixties I had a school holiday job peeling potatoes in a chippy on Chester Road.
Chip were 6d (2.5p) and fish 1 shilling (5p) = 7.5p in today's currency. Last week, in my local chippy it cost me £9.80 for just a normal portions of F&C's.
That's almost 13,000%. Can anything else beat that rate of inflation?
Everyone could afford fish and chips not too long back but nowadays it's an expensive treat not so many can afford on a weekly basis. As you'll know Friday was fish and chips day everywhere up north, these days I think curry and Chinese have become more popular. A good traditional fish and chip shop is getting hard to find, especially in the Manchester area and that's down to several shutting down to falling demand due to high cost.

And the high cost of fish is largely due to foreign trawlers pillaging our waters, something I was hoping brexit would solve in helping to save our fishing industry but it hasn't. Russian French German and Spanish trawlers(some factory ships) continue fish in our waters flouting our laws by using narrow mesh nets that indiscriminately catch juvenile fish that don't have time to grow and mature into adult fish that can breed and maintain healthy fish levels. Makes me mad tbh.

It's still there on Melbourne st, not sure if it sells tripe nowadays though. Last place I saw selling it was a stall in Hyde market hall, although last time I walked past the market hall looked shut down.

Do you remember the chippy in Grovener Square? Was pretty good but not the best in town.
Melbourne Street thats right. I do vaguely remember the chippy I think, next door to the fishmongers? 30+ years since I moved out of Stalyvegas and rarely been back other than driving through :/

We mainly eat cod and haddock and not many of them swim in UK waters. Iceland fisheries were closed to us decades ago and just lately Russia has closed off another area. Amazingly, Brexit did not persuade all the cod and haddock to move to 'our' waters. And, because a former Tory government stupidly allowed fishing licences to be sold - although to my mind they were a state asset, not a private one - foreigners own many of 'our' licences.

Apart from that, cod and haddock are not as common as they were and the UK population has increased. Not surprising that the cost has risen. Many chippies now sell 'fish' (species not stated) which is usually pollock or other cheap, tasteless shite.

Melbourne Street thats right. I do vaguely remember the chippy I think, next door to the fishmongers? 30+ years since I moved out of Stalyvegas and rarely been back other than SPEEDING through :/

Altered for accuracy :)

We mainly eat cod and haddock and not many of them swim in UK waters. Iceland fisheries were closed to us decades ago and just lately Russia has closed off another area. Amazingly, Brexit did not persuade all the cod and haddock to move to 'our' waters. And, because a former Tory government stupidly allowed fishing licences to be sold - although to my mind they were a state asset, not a private one - foreigners own many of 'our' licences.

Apart from that, cod and haddock are not as common as they were and the UK population has increased. Not surprising that the cost has risen. Many chippies now sell 'fish' (species not stated) which is usually pollock or other cheap, tasteless shite.
Pollock is ok but not worthy enough to be battered and served in a chippy, better in a fish pie I think. The tasteless shite you refer to is mainly Vietnamese catfish farmed mainly in polluted waters. It's sold as Basa to appease the British as it sounds posher than catfish. Only tried it once in a fish pie and that was enough as it has an insipid taste and snotty texture that's only fit for cat food.

One fish common in british waters is the Hake. A delicious meaty white fish that ends up mainly on ad Spanish andFrench dinner tables when most of it should be on our tables.

And cod and haddock catches have increased slightly due to catch cutting regulations that were set a few years back which is surely a good thing in helping maintain and preserve future stocks.

Back in the early sixties I had a school holiday job peeling potatoes in a chippy on Chester Road.
Chip were 6d (2.5p) and fish 1 shilling (5p) = 7.5p in today's currency. Last week, in my local chippy it cost me £9.80 for just a normal portions of F&C's.
That's almost 13,000%. Can anything else beat that rate of inflation?
Beer
Train fares

Fish chips n peas twice, two cans of dandelion n burdock, a curry sauce and a muffin/barm/roll/batch or whatever you want to call them! £31 fucking 50! Welcome to Llandudno.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.