Fish And Chips

We're a little more refined here at Ewing Towers! I always have a scattering of sea salt on my chips preceded by a sprinkling of lemon or lime juice. Very North London, I know, but just sets the meal off, rounded with a spread of half a dozen chips on a muffin.

At least you eat it on a muffin and not a bloody barm :)

was one on grosvenor street in stalybridge not too long ago, might well have gone now
It's still there on Melbourne st, not sure if it sells tripe nowadays though. Last place I saw selling it was a stall in Hyde market hall, although last time I walked past the market hall looked shut down.

Do you remember the chippy in Grovener Square? Was pretty good but not the best in town.

It's still there on Melbourne st, not sure if it sells tripe nowadays though. Last place I saw selling it was a stall in Hyde market hall, although last time I walked past the market hall looked shut down.

Do you remember the chippy in Grovener Square? Was pretty good but not the best in town.

Tripe with vinegar and false teeth are not a great combination, one of the worst memories of my childhood there.

I used to live near an award winning chippy, the fish huge & chip portions would feed 2, rounded off with proper mushy peas, & a beer on Friday.
Wasn’t cheap, fish was £6.40 & chips £2.20, but it was absolutely worth it.

Cooked in dripping.
Served in real newspaper
Salt and vinegar from big containers self serve at the counter.
No weird wooden forks just the old 2 prong ones or a more expensive plastic one

NEXT PLEASE!!!

Too expensive now, no longer a family friday treat.
Back in the early sixties I had a school holiday job peeling potatoes in a chippy on Chester Road.
Chip were 6d (2.5p) and fish 1 shilling (5p) = 7.5p in today's currency. Last week, in my local chippy it cost me £9.80 for just a normal portions of F&C's.
That's almost 13,000%. Can anything else beat that rate of inflation?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.