Five years ago today | City 2 Liverpool 1

The word epic is overused.
So I'll just say that this match was Homeric — Achilles against Hector.
Red Rum against Desert Orchid, if it had been possible.
Muhammad Ali in the two against Smokin Joe Frazier.

Going into that game, Liverpool were runaway leaders and the hype machine was in full flow. Their acolytes were declaring them the best premier league team ever and the players had started to believe it. This game was our last chance to keep the title race alive. A draw and it would have been over.

What I remember the best isn't even on that highlight video. After they equalised there's a shot of their players celebrating - Van Dyke is amongst them. Their celebration is not like ours. There's a smugness in their eyes where they are looking at each other as if to say "See - they thought they could take us on". Van Dyke is the worst but the others have it too. That Liverpool team was the most arrogant team the premier league has seen since the Keane/Neville United team and that was the night their pomposity got pricked.
And Van Hype remains as arrogant to this day, I commented about it during their match on Monday.

I never wanted a season like 19/20 again, but fleck me they were back *suffering from asthma in 21/22, thank God for Gundo and Rodri having the antidote to that. But dear heavens we are going to have to go through it all again this time round, and I seriously don't think I can take it, especially after what been through with hubs cancer battle of late.

I just can't see them losing, whereas we still have frailties, and I think ironically it will be last day 3rd time 'lucky' for Wolves who have missed out before seeing those shitbags crowned PL winners. ( random fixtures my ar£e, Wolves always on the beach so a guaranteed 3 points for last day opponents -iirc think Arse beat them 5 nothing in May).

I wish we had not been denied the winning goals at ours in November, cos we sure as hell get zilch at Klanfield. I wish we still had Sane, Kun, Merlin. I remember thinking we had a good chance after the 2-1 win, not so sure this time.

Had them down as PL possible winners before season began ( posted on fb to a Dips supporting ex neighbour - he is actually OK ish) and he didn't rate their chances. However I had noted results post World Cup and how, they all, cough * seemed to have had a recurrence of the asthma malaise....

Add to that PL/ PigMob, Sly, BiasedBC, TNT and most of the print media are desperate for a red shirt win of any colour for the PL and it makes for a nerve wracking 4 months to follow...

There is the strong possibility they could do a quad - PL, Europe, Carabao, FA. Hells teeth, if they are insufferable now it will be absolutely unbearable. 10 million la at de celebrayyyshun paraaayde.

Apart from that Happy Blue Year, I am hoping for our lads to get their act together.x

Was discussing this with my Dad. I think this team was our greatest ever. We should have won the quad that year.
Yes. It was also the one that was most exhilarating to watch.

I like to tell myself that getting through Spurs in the CL might have compromised the home fixture against Leicester, or that we might have lost the CL final to Liverpool when a win would have brought us the Quadruple. It helps me to deal with the fact that we didn't win all four. I also tell myself that Gundo popping up against Villa in 2022 prevented Liverpool from winning all four. I think they'd have beaten Real Madrid had they not missed out on the league six days earlier.

Anyone with a VR headset, watch the highlights - the Sergio goal in particular looks amazing.

Also, shows just how close John Stones and Ederson were to being the villains, before that goal line clearance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.