Football Grounds?

kenzie115 said:
feedthegoat2009 said:
ive done every ground in the prem over the course of the seasons but the best away days are a cold tuesday night at a proper football ground, the best one i have enjoyed this season was scunny away

My favourite game of the season too. I have developed a fondness for Scunthorpe just because I enjoyed the day out so much. I always look out for their results now and was happy to see them get the point they needed to stay up last week.
Being a Lincoln City supporter aswell i cant say i share that feeling for them ;)

danburge82 said:
If this was a German or American forum you'd be getting answers saying that modern shiney stadiums are the best things going as in them countries their stadiums are absolutely awsome, no expense spared, HUGE, top shit stadiums!!

Over here we've got the Riverside, St Mary's, Pride Park, KC, Brittania, Reebok, Walkers, Madjeski, etc dull, small, lifeless, boring, shit grounds (cost cutting in every area)! Even our ground looks really dull and boring from the outside and the big spikes look really dated like some eighties designed shit!

Emirates is okay but it's still a bit too pretty! it's not as immense, imposing, manly and atmospheric as like Dortmunds stadium!

Hillsborough, Maine Road, Elland Road, Goodison, Villa Park etc are all miles better than English new stadiums but none are anywhere near as good as the German or American stadiums!
I totally agree,our ground in 5 years time as it is now, will look so outdated, far too much concrete and no character.

The problem with new grounds in my opinion is generally the areas that they are built in. The older grounds tend to be quite close to city centers whereas the newer ones with a few exceptions are pushed to the outskirts of town.
Griffin Park, home of Brentford must be one of the best old style grounds, a pub on each corner of the ground, cant see many new builds getting planning permision to do that!

COMS is bright and shiny, everything a modern stadium should be. Maine Road was hard, harsh and everything an older stadium should be, pre-shit Kippax i mean. It would be wrong to see the likes of Tevez, Ade etc gracing Maine Road, and they deserve the facilities we now have, but for me I will always have more fond memories of a rain soaked night at Maine Road, stood freezing cold watching us struggle against Wimbledon, the smell of cigs all round, then trudging back into town by any means possible. That, to me, is football and I miss those times. Obviously times change, I know that, but Maine Road in the late 80's/early 90's, well i fucking loved evey minute of it.

Went to Chesterfields ground this season, for a runout with my son.
It's the ground where they filmed the film about Brian Clough as its the only ground that looks like it did in the 70's!, for the shots of Derby County's ground.
There moving to a new stadium next season,(i think), but it was really like going back in time,
you can see the dressing rooms from the inside of the stadium, through frosted glass, which they also used in the film too!

Went to Fratton Park about eight years ago, under Keegan, before they had a roof on the away end. The urinals seemed to be a shed with a small trench dug down around the edges, and it leaked outside towards the turnstiles. The refreshments were sold from a cabin put up on bricks, one bloke to serve three thousand, and he was the ugliest bloke I have ever seen, swaffling the mars bars before we could buy them.

Everton's bogs, six urinals to serve several thousand too.

I love the old grounds.

Bilston Blue said:
Went to Fratton Park about eight years ago, under Keegan, before they had a roof on the away end. The urinals seemed to be a shed with a small trench dug down around the edges, and it leaked outside towards the turnstiles. The refreshments were sold from a cabin put up on bricks, one bloke to serve three thousand, and he was the ugliest bloke I have ever seen, swaffling the mars bars before we could buy them.

I love the old grounds.

I remember going to Goodison in the early 90's. We had someone making his debut, can't think who though, (may have been Vonk or Gronendijk). Anyways, I remember us getting to our seats and the stand was basically made of wood and shaked whenever everyone stood up when the team was on the break. I'm sure it had benches too, like the old North Stand. The thing which got my attention the most though was the safety net below the stand, which was there just incase anyone fell off!!

Pigeonho said:
Bilston Blue said:

I love the old grounds.

I remember going to Goodison in the early 90's. We had someone making his debut, can't think who though, (may have been Vonk or Gronendijk). Anyways, I remember us getting to our seats and the stand was basically made of wood and shaked whenever everyone stood up when the team was on the break. I'm sure it had benches too, like the old North Stand. The thing which got my attention the most though was the safety net below the stand, which was there just incase anyone fell off!!

Aye, I've come out of Goodison with splinters in my arse a couple of times!!! Shit hole really. I remember the old away end, a terrace behind the goal that was about four, I kid you not, FOUR steps deep. Then a thirty foot wall up to the seats above. Whoever designed that had just come out of the pub!!!

Turf Moor is a complete shit hole agreed. But, at least it's got a bit of personality to it. Did anyone spot the crappy old Alba TVs screwed onto the top of the toilet blocks in the away end? You can just imagine the Burnley Board, "Ay up, we've got all mod cons for t'premiership. COLOUR TV."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.