Football Grounds?

Bilston Blue said:
Pigeonho said:
I remember going to Goodison in the early 90's. We had someone making his debut, can't think who though, (may have been Vonk or Gronendijk). Anyways, I remember us getting to our seats and the stand was basically made of wood and shaked whenever everyone stood up when the team was on the break. I'm sure it had benches too, like the old North Stand. The thing which got my attention the most though was the safety net below the stand, which was there just incase anyone fell off!!

Aye, I've come out of Goodison with splinters in my arse a couple of times!!! Shit hole really. I remember the old away end, a terrace behind the goal that was about four, I kid you not, FOUR steps deep. Then a thirty foot wall up to the seats above. Whoever designed that had just come out of the pub!!!

Goodison is shit. One of the best atmosphere's i've been on away games is Sheff U and Forest. Forest was my first away game in 93, and Vink DEFO made his debut there. We got beat but the atmosphere was top. I was only 14/15 and I thought it was mad how the home fans cheering was louder than the away, obviously having only ever experienced being a home fan myself before that. Done Tranmere a couple of times, thats always a laugh in the Clipper, and Blackpool is just mental. Went to Turf Moor in 96 for a pre season and came back to declare Lee Bradbury as the new Alan Shearer after his hat trick. My mates remind me of that on a more or less daily basis!

danburge82 said:
Over here we've got the Riverside, St Mary's, Pride Park, KC, Brittania, Reebok, Walkers, Madjeski, etc dull, small, lifeless, boring, shit grounds (cost cutting in every area)! Even our ground looks really dull and boring from the outside and the big spikes look really dated like some eighties designed shit!

Not sure why you're including the Reebok Stadium, or your own ground for that matter. The Reebok is one of the more imaginatively designed new grounds. It was designed by the same architects responsible for the Emirates and the new Wembley. In fact i can't think of any other ground in this country that looks as distinctive.

i would not slate any football ground!!! sometimes the character in the place shines ,even if it is run down....it s the way the home fans have done it for years...it s the way they want to do it!! you cant mess with those memories of great days....why would you want to change it!!! its their SPIRIT!!!!

SpiritofBurnden said:
danburge82 said:
Over here we've got the Riverside, St Mary's, Pride Park, KC, Brittania, Reebok, Walkers, Madjeski, etc dull, small, lifeless, boring, shit grounds (cost cutting in every area)! Even our ground looks really dull and boring from the outside and the big spikes look really dated like some eighties designed shit!

Not sure why you're including the Reebok Stadium, or your own ground for that matter. The Reebok is one of the more imaginatively designed new grounds. It was designed by the same architects responsible for the Emirates and the new Wembley. In fact i can't think of any other ground in this country that looks as distinctive.

reebok's a decent looking ground. The others he's mentioned though, shite. been to Riverside when it first opened when we played them in the Kinky v Juninho game. It was shite, even compared to a falling down maine road. Just looked like a load of corrogated steel put up like lego. SoL is the same, been there and whilst being bigger than the RS, it still has that plastic feel about it. The Madejski looks the same, as does Pride Park so I agree with the poster about them, but agree with you about the Reebok.

Agreed there, The Reebok Stadium is a well designed building - as one poster mentioned in this thread though with regards to newer stadiums - the problem is the location of these structures.

With it being on the outskirts of Bolton in Horwich (yes it provides easier access when travelling via car, or for your daily shopping) it just doesn't have that link with the actual town itself and the surrounding area just looks more like something off Sim City - predesigned crap with no clue as to where you actually are.
The atmosphere there is shit but that doesn't warrant it being a poor structure.

Going to the older stadiums is just nostalgic, not weekly. if you were going to say Gigg Lane every week and their away games you'd get tired and grumpy about the facilities in these grounds and would eventually prefer the newer stadiums.
I have to say though many of the generic stadiums that have been built just look like a carbon copy of each other and have no soul... I don't include COMS in this statement, it just needs more identity which it will get.

SteSteez said:
With it being on the outskirts of Bolton in Horwich (yes it provides easier access when travelling via car, or for your daily shopping) it just doesn't have that link with the actual town itself and the surrounding area just looks more like something off Sim City - predesigned crap with no clue as to where you actually are.

Whilst it would have been interesting to see the new stadium situated amongst the terraced houses in the Burnden area of Bolton, unfortunately it just wasn't practical for a number of reasons. However the view of the stadium depends on which way you're looking...

Reebok_IMGP4240-txt.JPG

SpiritofBurnden said:
SteSteez said:

Whilst it would have been interesting to see the new stadium situated amongst the terraced houses in the Burnden area of Bolton, unfortunately it just wasn't practical for a number of reasons. However the view of the stadium depends on which way you're looking...

Reebok_IMGP4240-txt.JPG

Hmmm, was that pic taken from a pub by any chance? I went out with the mrs to some pub near the ground, a big pub which does an excellent carvery. The car park has the stadium in view just like this pic. When her uncle came out to go to his car he went, 'ahhh Mecca'!

Glazers_Wallet said:
veltins arena is the best ive ever been, then maybe emerites..... i also liked lokeren that was funny lol

How the hell that temp stand did`nt collapse at Lokeran i will never know

always thought selhurst park had a great atmosphere. unfortunately the land is going to planners,were never going to play them again anyway.

Pigeonho said:
SpiritofBurnden said:

Reebok_IMGP4240-txt.JPG

Hmmm, was that pic taken from a pub by any chance? I went out with the mrs to some pub near the ground, a big pub which does an excellent carvery. The car park has the stadium in view just like this pic. When her uncle came out to go to his car he went, 'ahhh Mecca'!

That cant be the REEBOK. You cant see the ball above the stands

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.