Football Grounds?

1_barry_conlon said:
Pigeonho said:
Hmmm, was that pic taken from a pub by any chance? I went out with the mrs to some pub near the ground, a big pub which does an excellent carvery. The car park has the stadium in view just like this pic. When her uncle came out to go to his car he went, 'ahhh Mecca'!

The Royal Oak is the pub you're thinking of.

We always have a few scoops there before the game and comment on the view. Especially on a nice day.

Still doesn't compare to the view from The Gardeners on Victory st though....with the only black spot there being the sight of the Osborne...:-)

the wagon and horses is nearby and is much nicer (and for somreason, a lot less busy)

supercity36 said:
1_barry_conlon said:
The Royal Oak is the pub you're thinking of.

We always have a few scoops there before the game and comment on the view. Especially on a nice day.

Still doesn't compare to the view from The Gardeners on Victory st though....with the only black spot there being the sight of the Osborne...:-)

the wagon and horses is nearby and is much nicer (and for somreason, a lot less busy)

I've just bigged up the Marstons in there. Home made steak pie ain't bad either!

BlueTG said:
Having a discussion with some of my mates who are Scunny fans, and they seem to like the new modern stadiums and straight away write off older football grounds as dumps and sheds but i prefer these grounds for their character and difference to others. Was just wondering if was you preferred to visit older, more sentimental grounds to clubs or the newer modern, typical arena type stadiums eh?
People always say the old grounds have more character when they are not in them. Walk into Grimsby or Luton and you think what a fucking shithole.

supercity36 said:
lol the breezeblock is one of the most boring, cheaply made grounds in the country.

I don't think the Reebok Stadium could ever be described as 'boring' and nor was it 'cheaply made'. It won the British Construction Industry Building Award in 1998 and The Times described it as a ‘triumph of high tech architecture’.

Glazers_Wallet said:
veltins arena is the best ive ever been, then maybe emerites..... i also liked lokeren that was funny lol

Veltins is the best by far

In a weird way I like the old shit heaps, the places where the away fan hasnt been thought about for 20 years, where bog roll aint been in the away end for at least 30 years, just makes the away fan instantly grim as they take in their grim surroundings and grim uncomfy seating (you will never be as uncomfy in any home end), years of stale piss on floors that were laid before your mother, backed onto a terraced street where your every move is being watched by a local.

Burnden Park used to be a classic, olde style shit heap, places like that for some reason I miss.

Big G said:
In a weird way I like the old shit heaps, the places where the away fan hasnt been thought about for 20 years, where bog roll aint been in the away end for at least 30 years, just makes the away fan instantly grim as they take in their grim surroundings and grim uncomfy seating (you will never be as uncomfy in any home end), years of stale piss on floors that were laid before your mother, backed onto a terraced street where your every move is being watched by a local.

Burnden Park used to be a classic, olde style shit heap, places like that for some reason I miss.

All seater stadiums like the Reebok will never have the atmosphere that grounds like Burnden used to generate when the terraces were packed: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FicYeFFuAIs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FicYeFFuAIs</a>

even though we lost the game i enjoyed going to Chesterfield, really crap ground, but had a laugh there, apart from the result was a good experience

A bit of rose coloured glasses stuff going on here,if you ever went to Walsall pre the Bescott Stadium,Southampton pre St Marys and Huddersfield at Leeds Road,you would have first hand knowledge of bad stadiums.
Though I do agreee Brentford and Fulham are great little grounds,my personal favourite was always Notts Forest always good atmosphere and a top day out.
In a football book I have from the sixties Turf Moor is described as "state of the art" and even Maine Road when it was built was described as the wembley of the north.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.