Football Leaks/Der Spiegel articles

Bert Trautmann's debut for City was at Fulham where he faced a hostile reception from the home crowd when he took to the pitch and during the early stages of the game. However, following a superb performance (despite City losing 1-0), the same Fulham fans warmly applauded him at the end of the game.
His debut was at Bolton on 19/11/49 and reports talk of thousands of City fans going to see him. Fulham was on 14 Jan 1950 - his tenth League game - and the opposition lined up to give him a guard of honour at the end. You're right about the other stuff.

I've been historical consultant on a new film about Trautmann which will be released in the UK in April. It's a drama and some stuff has been fictionalised but it's well worth seeing.

I believe Swales was the only Jewish guy on that list.

Albert and Eric Alexander have very strong roots in the Isle of Man and are of Scottish descent.
As far as I'm aware none of the men listed were Jewish but there have been plenty of Jewish people connected with the club as shareholders and directors, such as Reuben Harris (on board 70s & 80s). Not that religion matters with football.

His debut was at Bolton on 19/11/49 and reports talk of thousands of City fans going to see him. Fulham was on 14 Jan 1950 - his tenth League game - and the opposition lined up to give him a guard of honour at the end. You're right about the other stuff.

I've been historical consultant on a new film about Trautmann which will be released in the UK in April. It's a drama and some stuff has been fictionalised but it's well worth seeing.

Thanks for that Gary. I've been labouring under the misapprehension it was his debut. The turnaround in attitude by Fulham fans in the space of 90 minutes is the stuff of legend.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.