Footballer strike?

For those comparing it to the jobs is irrelevant, yes everyone else can work long hours but if we want to see football played at its peak flogging them will not do it, however when they get a break they are flown off somewhere to play an exhibition match etc so the clubs themselves have to take the blame as well. If I was in charge of City and felt the league and CL were the most important I’d play kids in league and fa cup, simple those kids get through or we are out and fuck it. I’m glad we did the treble last year as I don’t think it will ever be done again with all these changes, if we win 5 in a row that will definitely not be done again.

I think the latest expansion of certain cups etc., was the last straw. The one that broke the camel’s back as they say.

People moan about having to pay more and more for extra matches so it would benefit the fans as well to cut back.

Tired players don’t play their best football.

I understand the argument about construction workers and the long hours others work but just because a footballers load doesn’t seem as ‘heavy’ there is also the mentality side of it.

Comparing one job against another doesn’t really work as a lot depends on how much effort you put into it as well.

It’s not just the physical it is also the mental side. Look at the criticism some of our players are getting about this season and last when we’ve had great success. Heaven help them if we had a bad one.
They need a break.
Good luck lads.
" they need a break " I'm sure you're right and a proper pre season, Macc away and some nice away days in Scotland :-)

Nope. As already pointed out, he was a union man. You can call him a lot of things (some of them even true!), but I doubt very much he'd cross a picket line.
After all he said prior to the world cup, bugger still went, if he was a fiddle player the Devil would have his soul ;-)

Money is irrelevant to the issue at hand here. Money doesn’t change biology and while it can make life easier, it doesn’t guarantee good physical or mental health.

The issue is that elite athletes are being overworked and burning out, and more likely to get injured. This combined with an ever expanding number of matches devalues the product overall. In fact where money is relevant here is the greed of the footballing bodies and clubs in raking in as much as possible to the detriment of players and their fans.

As someone else mentioned, who wants to see exhausted players like we saw in the FA Cup semi final? John Stones was literally sick and the rest of them looked off their feet. It’s not good for the players or the fans and elite sport is about fine margins.

And yes clubs with their ridiculous pre season schedules and mad dashes over time zones are partly to blame. If I remember rightly the last two summers our players have got straight on a plane after playing their last pre season match all the way back to the UK overnight (13 hours last year). How that benefits players’ physical and mental health is anyone’s guess. I need a few days just to gear myself up for a long haul flight!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.