Foreign Fans

Grew up on Fog Lane, went to my first game aged 7, supported City through family, moved away from Manc at 14 and ended up emigrating to Aus at 28. Have been a Blue as long as I can remember. Most City fans I meet out here are originally Mancs or had family there. There are a few though who have become loyal blues through really strange reasons. Whether it is being at Uni in Manc, getting into it through a friend, because of a favourite player or even in many cases just to be different as everyone else supported United.

Petetheblu said:
I have just posted this on another thread and because I don't often do serious type comment decided to pop it in this one two, okay here goes:

I always think it's a bit cruel how we seem to pick on City fans from another country like they have no right to be attracted to MCFC, I find it comical almost League of Gentlemenish "local club for local people".

Some of the poor sods are probably reading this thread and thinking 'I thought Mancs were suppossed to very friendly', by alienateing our selfs we are only undoing what City are trying to do and make us a big global brand.

I know what some people are scared that we will end up with a big bunch of fans with no idea of what happened to us two years previous, but we have a far reaching influence on here unlike the rags who got there fan base along time before Mr internet was world wide. What I'm trying to say is that we can influence the whole attitude of our fan base by our approach on fans forums like Bluemoon. We have a unique opportunity here to get our large foreign based fan base thinking more like a City fan and they get to feel the real living culture that is Manchester and understanding of what it means to be a City fan from City fans.

Let's not scare them away, lets instead welcome them and show them our true friendly MANC culture.

why would they support city though? anyone who signed up to the blues b4 thaksin must need there heads checking. i have to say i don't like going to places like london and hearing southern accents in the city crowd as that's what i associate with u**ted. this is a local club for local people(local connections e.g father was manc, had to move for work etc.) don't want to offend any blues who don't live in manchester but if u dont live within say 30 miles of city i dont understand why you would do it to yourself. expat mancs r still mancs, southerners will always be southerners and therefore should follow a southern team.

lovecityhateunited said:
Petetheblu said:
I have just posted this on another thread and because I don't often do serious type comment decided to pop it in this one two, okay here goes:

I always think it's a bit cruel how we seem to pick on City fans from another country like they have no right to be attracted to MCFC, I find it comical almost League of Gentlemenish "local club for local people".

Some of the poor sods are probably reading this thread and thinking 'I thought Mancs were suppossed to very friendly', by alienateing our selfs we are only undoing what City are trying to do and make us a big global brand.

I know what some people are scared that we will end up with a big bunch of fans with no idea of what happened to us two years previous, but we have a far reaching influence on here unlike the rags who got there fan base along time before Mr internet was world wide. What I'm trying to say is that we can influence the whole attitude of our fan base by our approach on fans forums like Bluemoon. We have a unique opportunity here to get our large foreign based fan base thinking more like a City fan and they get to feel the real living culture that is Manchester and understanding of what it means to be a City fan from City fans.

Let's not scare them away, lets instead welcome them and show them our true friendly MANC culture.

why would they support city though? anyone who signed up to the blues b4 thaksin must need there heads checking. i have to say i don't like going to places like london and hearing southern accents in the city crowd as that's what i associate with u**ted. this is a local club for local people(local connections e.g father was manc, had to move for work etc.) don't want to offend any blues who don't live in manchester but if u dont live within say 30 miles of city i dont understand why you would do it to yourself. expat mancs r still mancs, southerners will always be southerners and therefore should follow a southern team.

Presumably my Northern Irish accent would really wind you up as I am not even from England!!!!!!!!!

Half foreign in a sense!

My love of all things blue started when my mum and two brothers returned from living in Jamaica throughout the sixties, leaving my Dad behind.

My first best friend at school one day asked who I supported and I had no idea what the hell is was going on about. After explaining that everyone must support a football tem I asked him who he supported; he replied Man City. As it was good enough for him then it will do for me.

Later that year we all returned to Jamaica for our holidays and I told this story to my Dad. He had never talked about football before but I was amazed to lean that when he went to collage in Jamaica in the 40/50s his college house was called Manchester City, (The other houses were named after other England teams) and he had always supported them. So I have stayed with them now for 40 odd years.

Manchester may not be in my blood but City is in my passion.

I think that anyone who can't trace their lineage back to 1st century Mamucium should be outed as a glory-hunting-johnny-come-lately and burned if they even attempt to go anywhere near the ground.

Who's with me?

Eh?

EH?

Oh.....................

im from ireland, originally oldham but lived here going on 12 years my eldest brother is liverpool my next is a rag and im a city fan.just wanted to be different from them supporting the best in there era but glad i did cos its a passionate club and always will be.over here its all rags and liverpool although there is a small group of about seven of us who support city considering theres only about 4500 people live in this town not to bad i suppose

Like it matters?

It's always good to attract new fans, I always get impressed when I see new faces at the pub every week.

Good to see the Yank contingent get a run on the OS too: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Club-news/2009/September/Far-away-Blues-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Club-news/20 ... ay-Blues-2</a>

And no Peter Crouch impersonators to be seen!

Wheelsy said:
Like it matters?

It's always good to attract new fans, I always get impressed when I see new faces at the pub every week.

Good to see the Yank contingent get a run on the OS too: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Club-news/2009/September/Far-away-Blues-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Club-news/20 ... ay-Blues-2</a>

And no Peter Crouch impersonators to be seen!

This.

As the (admittedly rag) Ian Brown once said....'It's not where you're from, it's where you're at'

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.