Forgotten Away Days Days Number Two - QPR 93 FA Cup

allblackcitizen said:
I was at that game and most others at Loftus Road in early 90's. I was in with QPR fans and no other blues in sight. Got told to "sit the fuck back down" when we scored. Think it might have been Ian Holloway who got their goal.

Went to the league cup games mentioned. Also remember a 4-0 pounding when Les Ferdinand pissed all over David Brightwell.

Was the league cup game a 4-3? I remember that one. The ball cannoned off Paul Walsh from the keeper's kick into the net. I had been convinced by someone that Jason McAteer was about to sign for us!

I also remember a really fucking depressing game there, very early in the season. May have been 95-96 when I just knew we were going to go down. Think we lost 2-0. And I remember Uve Rosler aking his debut for us there too. That mighthave been a draw, can't remember but I think he scored.

BillyMC said:
bluejase said:
You don't half sound patronising sometimes and it's no wonder people dislike some things you post. It still means something to us fans, it's the FA cup for fuck sake.

lighten up a bit.No doubt 4th round of the cup used to have huge buzz back then...nowadays if we get a good away draw we might take a few, but we used to take thousands then

Which is a shame honestly but don't tar all us younguns with the same brush i'd like nothing more than to go to QPR/Ipswich/Notts Forest in the cup with 10,000 City there and completely take over towns and grounds. There's obviously not as many youth about these days that feel the same way but there are a good few who'd like it to be the way it used to.

bluejase said:
BillyMC said:
lighten up a bit.No doubt 4th round of the cup used to have huge buzz back then...nowadays if we get a good away draw we might take a few, but we used to take thousands then

Which is a shame honestly but don't tar all us younguns with the same brush i'd like nothing more than to go to QPR/Ipswich/Notts Forest in the cup with 10,000 City there and completely take over towns and grounds. There's obviously not as many youth about these days that feel the same way but there are a good few who'd like it to be the way it used to.

So what makes you entitled to comment on the difference between the FA Cup then and now?

Yeah...I was at this one.

QPR were actually quite decent at the time. As another poster said, we had a centre half crisis and Les Ferdinand was hot property.

As it turned out, Garry Flitcroft had a blinder and ohh Vonky Vonky got the ball rolling.

Didsbury Dave said:
bluejase said:

So what makes you entitled to comment on the difference between the FA Cup then and now?

I've heard and read the stories Dave and one of the reasons I come on here is to read threads like this. We've had this sort of debate, I just wanted to say your perception of the younger city fan is wrong.

Didsbury Dave said:
bluejase said:

Leave him alone!

The poor lad is (I think) trying to say that he'd have loved to have been a City fan in those days, when the supporter experience was a bit grittier and madder than it is now.

What's wrong with that?!

Didsbury Dave said:
Following on from yesterdays Ewood thread, who was at this one?

It was the 4th round of the FA Cup in the days when it really meant something to us fans. We took a big following as always to Loftus Road which was always a great away day. A great pub outside, compact stadium and great acoustics.

City had the usual two tiers behind the goal when the bottom tier was standing but also a paddock up the side. It was sold out, probably around 6000 or so. I had no ticket and bought one from their ticket office for the seats next to the away fans. Once in there it was obvious there were hundreds of Blues around. We were singing and noone bothered us.

The atmosphere was superb and we suddenly went 2-0 up late in the game with 2 goals from David White if I remember. They got one back but we went on to win 2-1. The stadium was bouncing. All us blues in their seats were up dancing around. I remember coming out at the end and thusands of us marcing up the road singing the best football song ever, which can only be sung if you've won in the cup "We're on the march with Reidy's Army"

It was a top class away day - I had loads at Loftus Road, another ground where it always seemed an exciting game.

Was anyone at that one?

one of the best away days ever, was on MOTD when we scored, i think SOL lager was trendy at that time, remember drinking a never ending supply of it that day.

Phuk Tifano said:
Didsbury Dave said:

Leave him alone!

The poor lad is (I think) trying to say that he'd have loved to have been a City fan in those days, when the supporter experience was a bit grittier and madder than it is now.

What's wrong with that?!

His contribution would have been welcome then.

As it was, he came on the thread and started throwing insults round when everyone else as playing nicely.

He shouldn't piss in the swimming pool and complain it tastes salty.

we took 6'000 to hillsboro a few years ago, great atmopshere even though we were playing the most boring football we had played for years. patronising definatly the right word here. There were times in the 80's when we would take only a few hundred fans to places like Stamford Bridge & White Hart Lane, something that would never happens now. Would you say the league now means more to fans? not really, things were just different then, and vice versa.

Didsbury Dave said:
Phuk Tifano said:
Leave him alone!

What's wrong with that?!

His contribution would have been welcome then.

As it was, he came on the thread and started throwing insults round when everyone else as playing nicely.

He shouldn't piss in the swimming pool and complain it tastes salty.

Throwing insults?

Fuckin hell Dave you're startin to sound like one of these poncey modern football fans.

Mard arse.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.