Forgotten Away Days Days Number Two - QPR 93 FA Cup

Just watched it - fantastic!

Phelan was rapid like Whitey - but what about Rick Holden?! Looked like he was half decent on the highlights, but he was dog toffee for us.

I remember an interview with him in a programme where he said he'd only leave City if AC Milan came in for him - pmsl.<br /><br />-- Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:27 pm --<br /><br />How young was Ian Holloway by the way?! And (Derek?) Bailey coming on for them - he went on to score a hat-trick at the swamp!

That was great watching that. Happy days on the terraces.

Brilliant day, the best away ground and fans in London by a mile. I'd started at Bristol uni at the time and me and the only other blue in the place got the coach over to the smoke. We got hammered in the Springbok beforehand and tried to get on the pitch when Vonky bundled one home from a corner, but I got truncheoned on the shoulder by a copper. Hurt like a bastard but didn't give a toss, old school cup fever had kicked in

BillyMC said:
DD is this the one when a blue stood on the railings outside the springbok and sang City anthems in an operatic stylee all afternoon....I'd double dropped a couple of speckle doves on the coach down for this one so memories were somewhat scoobied.

strongbowholic said:
Just watched it - fantastic!

Phelan was rapid like Whitey - but what about Rick Holden?! Looked like he was half decent on the highlights, but he was dog toffee for us.

I remember an interview with him in a programme where he said he'd only leave City if AC Milan came in for him - pmsl.

-- Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:27 pm --

How young was Ian Holloway by the way?! And (Derek?) Bailey coming on for them - he went on to score a hat-trick at the swamp!

That was great watching that. Happy days on the terraces.

Dennis

That was a fantastic day out and I must concur with almost everyone else on this thread - QPR away was just about the best away day in the country.

The only downside to this game was that I was hamstrung financially at the time by a shit job paying shit wages. This meant that the rattler was out of the question and we had to make do with the official travel club. Anyone who has travelled with them will know that it's not exactly a bundle of laughs and the coach drivers don't tend to be in a hurry to get to their destination, which in turn would limit any pre-match drinking time. As it happens, we got there just after 1PM and managed to throw about half a dozen drinks down us before the game kicked off.

QPR were a very good side at the time - the best team in London was a fair assessment - and started the match as favourites. However, in the build-up to the match it looked like their star man Les Fedinand wasn't going to make it. I think he underwent a series of pain-killing injections (not sure about the oxygen tent though) and miraculously made the starting line-up which was a bit of a pisser to be honest. Not only that, the papers beforehand came up with a worrying stat - QPR had not lost a home FA Cup tie for 13 years, so recent history was against us.

We were in the seats above the terracing as the stand curves round to the left looking out over the pitch so we were right next to the home fans. When Whitey banged the first into the roof of the net there were indeed loads of City on the other side of the fence in the home end celebrating. There were plenty of blues on the pitch as well. It got better when Vonk scored the second a few minutes later (cue another bout of absolute bedlam in the away end), and that looked to be that. But this is City remember and we almost fucked it up at the end - Holloway pulled one back, and then they forced a corner right at the death. Incredibly, the ref didn't even let them take it and blew up for full-time. That was us in the hat for the 5th round and I, like many other blues, started to really believe Hansen's prediction that we would win the cup that year.

Ah yes, Dennis; weren't a bad effort though was it?

One thing that has really thrown me was on that highlights clip it has our right back down as 'Ranson' and I cannot or the life of me remember who that was (Ray was long gone from the club by then surely).

strongbowholic said:
Ah yes, Dennis; weren't a bad effort though was it?

One thing that has really thrown me was on that highlights clip it has our right back down as 'Ranson' and I cannot or the life of me remember who that was (Ray was long gone from the club by then surely).

Someone asked earlier in the thread who our right-back was. It WAS Ray Ranson mate - we re-signed him in January 1993.

Wow! My memory is truly shot to bits.

I'm going to watch the highlights again; absolutely brilliant. Steve McMahon spraying the abll around, superb!

Might even have a chorus of "Ooooo Vonky, Vonky".

strongbowholic said:
Wow! My memory is truly shot to bits.

I'm going to watch the highlights again; absolutely brilliant. Steve McMahon spraying the abll around, superb!

Might even have a chorus of "Ooooo Vonky, Vonky".

That ball McMahon pinged out to Holden (I presume it was Holden - might have to check again) on the left just before we got the second goal was quality wasn't it? Some of the football belied the view that we played crap football under Reid - sometimes we turned it on and played some good stuff.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.