Frankie Boyle dumped by C4 for Paralympic comments

Rascal said:
Im just amazed a man i have never heard of can have 6 pages wrote about him.

He sounds a bit of a twat, but i havent seen any criticism of him on certain disability blogging sites and those sites are usually very quick to condemn what they percieve to be ridiculing the disabled.

Don't believe for a second you haven't heard of Frankie Boyle.

Mayor West said:
Rascal said:
Im just amazed a man i have never heard of can have 6 pages wrote about him.

He sounds a bit of a twat, but i havent seen any criticism of him on certain disability blogging sites and those sites are usually very quick to condemn what they percieve to be ridiculing the disabled.

Don't believe for a second you haven't heard of Frankie Boyle.

I have never seen him on telly, the paper i read i doubt would ever give him coverage, i may have heard his name in passing but i know nothing of him at all until today. I must probably have seen a joke of his retweeted on twitter if as somebody said he is on there all day, but he hasnt registered with me at all.

Im sure there are people who interest me greatly who you have no idea who they are.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
Saw him live and he was very good. The one part of his act that has always left me uncomfortable is quips relating to the disabled.

It's a difficult one for me. I like him and I guess this was inevitable, but the Paralympics represents the triumph of the human spirit to such a great extent that he should have left well alone imo. It's a piss poor argument to say that anything goes with Frankie because it clearly does not. He doesn't make jokes about the Moors Murders or the Holocaust as far as I'm aware, so he must have a line, I guess. He strayed the wrong side of it here imo.

Sorry to take issue,but I really don't think there is a 'line' to be drawn,otherwise you are effectively censoring comedy by default,and that is a very slippery slope,because everyone will have a different yardstick as to where the taste threshold is crossed.
Some of the god squad wanted Life Of Brian banned,and The Exorcist.
It would simply be uneforceable to ban certain topics,and ultimately you would be restricting free speech.
What next - you can't write what you want in a novel?
Sorry,but no.
If you don't like him,then don't pay to see him,or watch him on TV,or laugh at his jokes in the press.

I guess, upon reflection, the 'line' that I referred to was mine rather than his.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
Saw him live and he was very good. The one part of his act that has always left me uncomfortable is quips relating to the disabled.

It's a difficult one for me. I like him and I guess this was inevitable, but the Paralympics represents the triumph of the human spirit to such a great extent that he should have left well alone imo. It's a piss poor argument to say that anything goes with Frankie because it clearly does not. He doesn't make jokes about the Moors Murders or the Holocaust as far as I'm aware, so he must have a line, I guess. He strayed the wrong side of it here imo.
Yes he does.

will i get banned for telling an un-pc joke about the paralympic basketball team? its not a heavy one btw.

Skashion said:
People who don't find him funny, ironically, are part of the reason so many do, because someone who doesn't believe what he's saying, can offend them enough to complain or be outraged and indignant. They're the people who are the butt of his jokes. The other reason people like him is because he's so fucking quick. Most comedians might spend a year or even two perfecting the same stand-up routine, which will be funny, and then film it. Frankie Boyle can do it off the cuff so he can post them every minute on Twitter or put down a heckler with absurd ease. I think Frankie Boyle is just about the only stand-up at the moment who could survive Whose Line is it Anyway. Possibly Jimmy Carr as well.

Spot On !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.