Fulham (H) | PL | Post Match Thread

Did Bobb and Lewis come on at the same time? My stream froze and it looked like Bobb came on alone, which would mean we used 4 substitution windows when you’re only allowed 3. The PL app says they both came on in the 90th minute so maybe I just missed Lewis coming on.

Pissed up to be honest but five fucking one. What a fucking team. Haaland a fucking legend. Phil, future England captain.

They admitted that was a monumental error in the end and its not a similar situation to today. I don't care about other instances or some sense of things evening themselves out, you judge things in isolation. Akanji has interfered with play however you look at it and it's a huge cock up from the officials. There's really no point in denying that.

Going in at halftime 2-1 down instead of 1-1 away at the etihad is a game changer. If it's the 5th goal in injury time it's inconsequential but that was a major turning point in the game.

Yes it did. If akanji isn't there the keeper knows exactly where the ball is heading, whether he then saves it, we can't know but akanji being there means the keeper cannot react until the ball is past akanji I really don't see how anybody can genuinely argue that shouldn't have been disallowed

You could also argue that had Akanji touched the ball he would have been flagged offside and that the keeper should have dived with the intention of saving Ake's header rather than waiting to see what Akanji did.
Leno would have made the save had he dived when it left Ake's head which he could have done but chose not to.
Leno clearly knew Akanji was in an offside position which is confirmed by his actions in the aftermath therefore you could argue that as an experienced top level goalkeeper he should have concentrated on saving the header.
Equally I wouldn’t have complained had it been disallowed but I've seen plenty of goals given in more controversial situations.

Akanji wasn't in the goalkeepers line of sight but he attempted to go for the ball which is interfering with play.
I would have been well annoyed if that went against us.

0_Britain-Soccer-Premier-League-23245537858630.jpg

If you look carefully, Akanji wasn't in Leno's line of sight. He then moved back slightly, but crucially he flicked a foot at the ball AFTER it had passed him without touching it.

It all happened really fast, & I'd be pissed if we were on the receiving end of that decision, but after watching it several times & hearing the referees interpretation, I suppose rules is rules innit? \0/

Last edited:
Just got back and watched the Ake goal. No way was Akanji interfering. He’s not in the goal keeper’s line of sight at all. It’s all BS as usual.

Not the greatest display over 90 minutes but a conclusive win. Haaland has begun this season in exactly the same fashion he began last and that bodes well. Doku had some very good moments and holds out much promise for the reat of the season. The rest of the team were all rather sluggish though they did improve as the game progressed - maybe though City do only come to life around Christmas! I really don't think VAR did us any favours. Akanji was in an offside position but he was never in the ' keeper's line of vision and he certainly never jumped over the ball as Jackson says in the Guardian. I don't like the way offside is to be interpreted these days but there was no question the officials applied the present guidelines in this case.

All in all a very satisfactory outcome with the hope that things will get better and better as we work through the season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.