Gabriel Jesus | Joins Arsenal for £45m

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. That's why with my 1 or 2 more I talk about, I'd go for someone like Tammy Abraham as the 2nd forward option to provide a bit more physicality & athleticism up front, & someone else in midfield, if not a Bissouma type then someone like the young lad Danilo Gus has recently mentioned, we've been linked to him before.
I watch quite a bit of Italian football and while I like Abraham, I just see him as below the level you need. He's better suited to the style Roma or Spurs play and not pressing in packs. I just think you need a bit more experience in the middle of the park (e.g. someone like Kroos?) and players who are not going to panic when pressed. Even before the sending-off last night, Spurs knew that once the backline was pressed, they'd panic and go long. That's what Guardiola used to mean by the players being brave and trusting in the system. Jesus would help with the forward press, but Arteta might be better shopping in Spain to get players for the back and midfield.

I watch quite a bit of Italian football and while I like Abraham, I just see him as below the level you need. He's better suited to the style Roma or Spurs play and not pressing in packs. I just think you need a bit more experience in the middle of the park (e.g. someone like Kroos?) and players who are not going to panic when pressed. Even before the sending-off last night, Spurs knew that once the backline was pressed, they'd panic and go long. That's what Guardiola used to mean by the players being brave and trusting in the system. Jesus would help with the forward press, but Arteta might be better shopping in Spain to get players for the back and midfield.

You might be right. Also bear in mind however, that our most press resistant midfielder Partey wasn't playing, and guys like White or Saliba who are known as good ball playing defenders weren't & guys like Holding & Cedric were.

Admittedly though, our depth behind these players are causing us issues, because when they are out, its a bit chaotic. Like you say, trying to play a sort of Pep style of football with a team than consists of Cedric, Holding, Elneny, Xhaka & Nketiah is like trying to pull teeth at times.

You might be right. Also bear in mind however, that our most press resistant midfielder Partey wasn't playing, and guys like White or Saliba who are known as good ball playing defenders weren't & guys like Holding & Cedric were.

Admittedly though, our depth behind these players are causing us issues, because when they are out, its a bit chaotic. Like you say, trying to play a sort of Pep style of football with a team than consists of Cedric, Holding, Elneny, Xhaka & Nketiah is like trying to pull teeth at times.
I think that’s why Arteta is going to have to temper his expectations, especially if Spurs leapfrog you. It’s just not realistic to ask players to play that way when they don’t have the technical ability. Fine when they’re all fit and playing, but the moment you have second-level players in, then there is a weakness in the system, and the opposition can exploit it by making you play to that/those person(s). It then becomes increasingly chaotic and players start getting caught out of position and make stupid challenges. How much time will you give him?

I think that’s why Arteta is going to have to temper his expectations, especially if Spurs leapfrog you. It’s just not realistic to ask players to play that way when they don’t have the technical ability. Fine when they’re all fit and playing, but the moment you have second-level players in, then there is a weakness in the system, and the opposition can exploit it by making you play to that/those person(s). It then becomes increasingly chaotic and players start getting caught out of position and make stupid challenges. How much time will you give him?

I think it's about tempering expectations and realising the challenge he took on.

Hes just been given a new 3 year contract so the club & board are happy with him and to give his project time.

I think the clubs expectations this season was to trim the squad right back & to get European football, so technically he's achieved that. The disappointment would come after being in such a strong position for top 4, and failing at the last hurdle.

My target was to get to 70 points to show improvement over last season (I thought the top 4 was sewn up at the start of the season if I'm honest) and just see where that takes us. We are a win & a draw away from that.

I don't mind giving him time as long as we see continual improvement. Only yourselves & Liverpool have won more games than Arsenal this season, but we've lost more games than Utd now.

Perhaps this is where we need to learn to be more pragmatic like you say. Turn half of those defeats into draws and your are talking about having mid 70's points this season.

Sorry, feel like I've hijacked the Jesus thread into the Arsenal thread.

I think it's about tempering expectations and realising the challenge he took on.

Hes just been given a new 3 year contract so the club & board are happy with him and to give his project time.

I think the clubs expectations this season was to trim the squad right back & to get European football, so technically he's achieved that. The disappointment would come after being in such a strong position for top 4, and failing at the last hurdle.

My target was to get to 70 points to show improvement over last season (I thought the top 4 was sewn up at the start of the season if I'm honest) and just see where that takes us. We are a win & a draw away from that.

I don't mind giving him time as long as we see continual improvement. Only yourselves & Liverpool have won more games than Arsenal this season, but we've lost more games than Utd now.

Perhaps this is where we need to learn to be more pragmatic like you say. Turn half of those defeats into draws and your are talking about having mid 70's points this season.

Sorry, feel like I've hijacked the Jesus thread into the Arsenal thread.
I’ll respond there.

Yeah I agree, but City may think we have to replace Fern and that’s more important, it wouldn’t surprise me if we didn’t buy a left back
We have to do both. We might sell Jesus and Sterling to bring in two big signings at left back and defensive midfield. I don't think we can win the CL till we strengthen the left hand side. Real Madrid showed that. And our left side of defence has been a problem for years. Pep, being a genius, finds a way round it, but we can't wing it against the very best teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.