Gabriel Jesus rejects new contract offer - The Times

Would you advise your player to sign away his future at 18/19, when you fully expected him to become a world star, or would you advise him to wait a while before negotiating ?
Sign now for an extra 30k a week or whatever it is or wait until after the world cup and he might triple his wages if he has a good tournament.

I think its become a bit of a reversal of the narrative in the media. Not so long ago it was City ruining the wage structure in the PL by paying over inflated wages to mercenaries. Now though the narrative is that it is ok to pay wage huge wages but City are being tight miserable gits by only offering the lowest amount they can get away with. City introducing the minimum wage to PL footballers!

Would you advise your player to sign away his future at 18/19, when you fully expected him to become a world star, or would you advise him to wait a while before negotiating ?
We signed Jesus in the Summer of August 2016 but he stayed on at Palmeiras until Jan 2017. During which time he became a regular for Brazil and winning the Brazilian league title. He then hit the ground running. Given what had happened, and what was likely to happen, I'd have thought City would have moved very quickly to anticipate developments. for all I know perhaps we did just that, and his agent was smart. Clearly that was the time to do a deal, not now.

I wouldn’t blame any player for trying to maximise his earnings bearing in mind his career might be very short. Reading the biography of Paul Lake brought that home.

So far City hasn’t paid any ridiculous transfer sums, and hope that will continue. Beyond that you’d hope that the negotiations for pay increases could take place on amicable terms recognising the need to avoid huge disparities that could create divisions. You’d hope that players recognise some benefits from playing for City. Beyond the hard cash. Ideally odious agents would be excluded, but that wont happen.

Sad to read your post, Maine Road Blue. Hope you continue to support City, if only from the armchair.

Just exactly what I thought. What on earth are City playing at? It’s one thing to take a stand (as we did on Sanchez), it’s quite another to muck around haggling over a sum that means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of City’s resources, when you’re talking about a player who is already,at his tender age, one of the very best players in a team that are one of two or three favourites for the WC. Get this done, ffs, City! And preferably, before the World Cup.
sanchez was going out of contract so has a hefty signing on fee, which you can't compare to someone who's been purchased.

as for jesus, i think its best to wait after the world cup for both parties. and i don't think city will break the pay structure,it might get finely tuned and jiggled about but i think if we couldn't come to a sensible agreement, we will sell.

We signed Jesus in the Summer of August 2016 but he stayed on at Palmeiras until Jan 2017. During which time he became a regular for Brazil and winning the Brazilian league title. He then hit the ground running. Given what had happened, and what was likely to happen, I'd have thought City would have moved very quickly to anticipate developments. for all I know perhaps we did just that, and his agent was smart. Clearly that was the time to do a deal, not now.

Cant agree with you there Marvin. City signed Jesus and offered him a contract that suited his potential. It often is a startersfee as it is hard to see how a young foreign players develops and jells in new surroundings. Jesus seems to be doing well, so City wants to offer him an upgrade. Jesus agents tells Jesus to wait till after the WC. Fair enough when the parties aren’t even halfway through the existing contract.

I expect Jesus, if he turns out the huge talent we expect him to be, to have several more talks about his contract. I think Ronaldo and Messi have one every other year. And Jesus will not be the sole one to negotiate. Thing is City are not a selling club. So no need to worry imho.

We did the deal.

That's why he's a City player.

Can you give me an example of an 18/19 year old who has signed a deal for what his wages will be when he's 20 odd ?

What kind of lunatic would sign such a deal, unless it was 500k pw ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.