Game of Thrones season 5

I realise that the show and books are becoming increasingly distinct but they've just fucked Stannis's character, the whole point is that he's single minded and honourable, he fights and fights against that decision in the book. Some of the stuff they've done in this series is just shit.
I think you've unwittingly hit the nail though......the vast majority,like myself,who have not read the books and so have no other reference......are loving the series,and especially,its many twists and shocks.

The events of the last episode,while very difficult to stomach,were very much justified IMO......its been building towards that outcome and from the POV of the instigator,the 'situation' almost made it a necessity.

Ep10 will be epic!

I think you've unwittingly hit the nail though......the vast majority,like myself,who have not read the books and so have no other reference......are loving the series,and especially,its many twists and shocks.

The events of the last episode,while very difficult to stomach,were very much justified IMO......its been building towards that outcome and from the POV of the instigator,the 'situation' almost made it a necessity.

Ep10 will be epic!
The issue for me is that they followed the books so closely for so long that the character development was essentially the same. Then when you radically separate the stories it's difficult to square the actions of characters or events with the background that's been built.

The unsullied and Barristan Selmy being useless is the prime example this series, Stannis switch in morality being another. If your going to get rid of BS why not kill him off in the last episode defending Dany, rather than just bizarrely killed.

The last couple of episodes have in many ways saved the series but it's still been by far the worst of them imo.

I realise that the show and books are becoming increasingly distinct but they've just fucked Stannis's character, the whole point is that he's single minded and honourable, he fights and fights against that decision in the book. Some of the stuff they've done in this series is just shit.

i believe it was urban who mentioned it earlier, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that she isn't dead, and that the glamour storyline from melisandre will be introduced here.... That doesn't change the stannis standpoint though, as he knowingly let it happen/SPOILER]

It is good that we don't know what's coming but I have a couple of misgivings about it:

- Whilst some story arcs have been altered, the story as a whole is moving in the same direction as the books. My fear is that the show will beat the books to the same answer because it's cut corners to get there.

- Some really good story arcs have been missed out. Some slight spoilers below that I doubt will affect your watching and won't give too much of the books away.
The Iron Born get somewhat interesting in the books and have been completely forgotten in the shows. Another Targaryen. Maester Sam. Fake Arya.

hasn't martin already said that the show would finish before the books so if you are reading then the show will be a massive spoiler

hasn't martin already said that the show would finish before the books so if you are reading then the show will be a massive spoiler

I'd always thought that was likely. They're putting out a season a year and George writes slowly.

Just wondered if they'd go the alternate ending route rather than the shortcut to the same result that seems to be happening.

It makes you wonder as to the point of the left out book story arcs if the plot can reach its destination without them.

I'd always thought that was likely. They're putting out a season a year and George writes slowly.

Just wondered if they'd go the alternate ending route rather than the shortcut to the same result that seems to be happening.

It makes you wonder as to the point of the left out book story arcs if the plot can reach its destination without them.

I think there will be different endings. Can't imagine that GRR Martin sanctioned some of the stuff that's being done, they're taking quite different paths and some clearly key components (to the books) are being left out.

i believe it was urban who mentioned it earlier, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that she isn't dead, and that the glamour storyline from melisandre will be introduced here.... That doesn't change the stannis standpoint though, as he knowingly let it happen/SPOILER]

It's possible, I can't think of a reason to keep Shireen alive though and as you say, it doesn't change the huge shift in Stannis.

that episode was good especially the ending, the unsullied are shit and it seemed really easy to hurt the dragon tbh.

Can somebody explain to me how the 'Sparrows' have become so powerful? They just came along from nowhere and seem to be running the show?

They weren't, not for a long time anyway, then Cercei gave them "moral rule" so that she could have them imprison Marge and her brother for him being gay.
She hates they Tyrells - she's even sent daddy Tyrell off to Bravos with a nudge, nudge wink, wink to Meryn Trant - to bump him off, although it looks like Arya will have some say about that now she knows he's a kiddy fiddler too.
Unfortunately for Silly Cerse, her plan has bit her on the arse big time now that Granny T has told the King Sparrow about Jaime and Cersie's naughtiness.

Everyone thinking that Stannis' actions have veered from the books...

Like other episodes this season, "The Dance of Dragons" contains original content not found in Martin's novels but is in this case notable for containing content that has notyet appeared in the novels: Executive Producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss confirmed that George R.R. Martin told them that Shireen is going to be burned to death as a sacrifice in an unpublished future novel. Benioff said: "When George first told us about this, it was one of those moments where I remember looking at Dan, it was just, like, god it's so, so horrible, and it's so good in a story sense, because it all comes together."[4] Weiss says he believes the decision to kill Shireen in this way is, "entirely [narratively] justified," questioning why "we’re all highly selective about which characters deserve our empathy. Stannis has been burning people alive for seemingly trivial reasons since season 2."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.