Gareth Bale

andrewmswift said:
rick773 said:
Bale looks and acts like everything the "normal" american stereotypes about "soccer"

75% of the americans that walked past that billboard probably thought "whys that faggot up there"

another 20% probably thought it was a planet of the apes/zoolander 2 billboard of course.

Pretty sure I read the last derby was the highest viewed prem game in the states and it was just over a million viewers. so his skyrocketing profile is relative. It did seem last time I was there spurs were pretty trendy with faux euro fans ,seems everyone under a certain age either supported them or they were their "2nd team".

good lord, you talk about americans stereotyping "soccer" and then stereotype the hell out of americans.

you're a fool if you think americans aren't into football/soccer.

-- Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:20 pm --

FrancoisToure said:
Dzekolol said:
I live in Manhattan and you're talking crap!

No one knows who the fuck is Bale, Rooney or Aguero would have been better choice.

You have your opinion; NBC and I have our opinion. We don't have to agree.

i think it's stunning that someone who lives in manhattan thinks americans don't know who gareth bale is. sure, some don't. but it's a country of 300+ million people. a fucking hell of a lot do.

Considering I'm American(hint:those 3 numbers in my username are my former area code) and up until recently still spent 4/5 months a year there ill stereotype as I please. The fact that the most watched prem game ever had something like 1.3 million viewers , and lost in the ratings to a spongebob rerun among other things or that the most watched champs league game ever lost in the ratings to a cable news business show shows it's not a giant thing , it's obviously growing and I'm glad it is , and obviously NBC wants it to . It still has a long way to go before the average American is going to be excited to see Gareth bale on a billboard.

YOU ARE ALL MISSING THE POINT.

Its not about "the average American". Its about those who watch the sport in America and what would capture their attention.

Dzekolol said:
FrancoisToure said:
pudge said:
Is he fuck, I highly doubt that. Or at the very least, question their support.

Is it the constant diving they respect?

Do you live in the States?

I live in Manhattan and you're talking crap!

No one knows who the fuck is Bale, Rooney or Aguero would have been better choice.

You can't go with Rooney in the States anymore because he looks increasingly like George Costanza. No doubt too many Manhattanites would confuse the ad with one for Seinfeld re-runs.

It's an aggressive photograph of arguably the league's biggest name whether people know him or not. PL is still very much in it's infancy here, but gradually more and more of my non-footy buddies are starting to get into it.

Don't think the ad is designed to build anticipation nor a new fan base yet. Mostly its just an announcement of where you can find PL in 2013-14. I can see how casual fans would be confused since it was on three different (other) channels last season.

rick773 said:
andrewmswift said:
rick773 said:
Bale looks and acts like everything the "normal" american stereotypes about "soccer"

75% of the americans that walked past that billboard probably thought "whys that faggot up there"

another 20% probably thought it was a planet of the apes/zoolander 2 billboard of course.

Pretty sure I read the last derby was the highest viewed prem game in the states and it was just over a million viewers. so his skyrocketing profile is relative. It did seem last time I was there spurs were pretty trendy with faux euro fans ,seems everyone under a certain age either supported them or they were their "2nd team".

good lord, you talk about americans stereotyping "soccer" and then stereotype the hell out of americans.

FrancoisToure said:

i think it's stunning that someone who lives in manhattan thinks americans don't know who gareth bale is. sure, some don't. but it's a country of 300+ million people. a fucking hell of a lot do.

Considering I'm American(hint:those 3 numbers in my username are my former area code) and up until recently still spent 4/5 months a year there ill stereotype as I please. The fact that the most watched prem game ever had something like 1.3 million viewers , and lost in the ratings to a spongebob rerun among other things or that the most watched champs league game ever lost in the ratings to a cable news business show shows it's not a giant thing , it's obviously growing and I'm glad it is , and obviously NBC wants it to . It still has a long way to go before the average American is going to be excited to see Gareth bale on a billboard.
Spongebob is good though !

I still do not buy that he has the world wide exposure that a £50m + fee would require ( to help recoup costs etc) his lack of exposure in European Championships on a regular basis must impact on this. I think he is a great player and would love him at City but cannot see him in same bracket as Neymar et al for marketability and therefore fee.

Given the multicultural nature of america in general especially new york, i would say he is not the premier leagues biggest name or even close to it, tbh and as much as it pains me to say it hernandez from the rags would probably be better known purely because he plays for mexico or dempsey from spurs as he plays regularly for the US national team.

rick773 said:
andrewmswift said:
rick773 said:

FrancoisToure said:

1.3 million is a pretty big number considering it was aired at 2 in the afternoon on a Monday when kids were at school and adults were at work.

-- Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:33 am --

mancboy123 said:
Given the multicultural nature of america in general especially new york, i would say he is not the premier leagues biggest name or even close to it, tbh and as much as it pains me to say it hernandez from the rags would probably be better known purely because he plays for mexico or dempsey from spurs as he plays regularly for the US national team.

NY sure but we are talking about the entire country. The rest of the country isn't really that multicultural.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.