Gareth Barry

Personally I'd prefer to keep Barry and let Garcia go, but I suspect it's ultimately a financial decision. Barry is reported to be on £120k a week, far more than Garcia, and in the last year of his contract.

It looks like a new deal won't be offered so the club are keen to get whatever transfer fee they can, and get another high earner off the books. Soriano and Begiristain have said they're unhappy with the wages being paid to backup players, and we're overloaded with midfielders at present. It looks like they want to free up space in the squad (and on the wage bill) for a new centre half.

It's harsh, because Barry has been an excellent servant to the club, but football is a harsh industry. Barry is well recompensed, and is too good to spend a season on the bench at this stage of his career.

Ric said:
Personally I'd prefer to keep Barry and let Garcia go, but I suspect it's ultimately a financial decision. Barry is reported to be on £120k a week, far more than Garcia, and in the last year of his contract.

It looks like a new deal won't be offered so the club are keen to get whatever transfer fee they can, and get another high earner off the books. Soriano and Begiristain have said they're unhappy with the wages being paid to backup players, and we're overloaded with midfielders at present. It looks like they want to free up space in the squad (and on the wage bill) for a new centre half.

It's harsh, because Barry has been an excellent servant to the club, but football is a harsh industry. Barry is well recompensed, and is too good to spend a season on the bench at this stage of his career.

Your post is spot on.

Unfortunately Garcia isn't going anywhere

Could desperate Arsenal follow up on their earlier reported interest having lost out on Luis Gustavo now ?

Understand the financial and contract reasons, but losing Barry would be noticed during the course of the season. I would have given him a one year extension and perhaps tried to negotiate his wages.

The way I see it is, Fernandinho will definitely play the CL games and most bigger games in the prem as will Yaya, but Barry is so experienced at prem level and has a sharp football brain (being vital to the defensively stability of the midfield and keeping possession). I think he would still play a crucial role in some tricky away games. Garcia is a catastrophe of a player. Shockingly poor in midfield. Praying Rodwell stays fit.

Barry has been well worth the money, but it's time to move him on.

He will cost us the best part of £6m if we allow him to see out his final year with us. His wages are massive and we might manage to scrape a fee of around £2m this summer to offset his salary.

He is on the downward curve and just doesn't have the capacity to perform at the highest-level. It happens to all players, the great and the good.

There were plenty of culprits in the Cup Final but Barry was even made to look past it by the enthusiastic running of Wigan.

Memory might be playing tricks, but I believe it was Barry's suicide ball across the back which resulted in Zabaleta also getting sent off?

tolmie's hairdoo said:

He will cost us the best part of £6m if we allow him to see out his final year with us. His wages are massive and we might manage to scrape a fee of around £2m this summer to offset his salary.

He is on the downward curve and just doesn't have the capacity to perform at the highest-level. It happens to all players, the great and the good.

There were plenty of culprits in the Cup Final but Barry was even made to look past it by the enthusiastic running of Wigan.

Memory might be playing tricks, but I believe it was Barry's suicide ball across the back which resulted in Zabaleta also getting sent off?

It was the wide players which caused us problems in the cup final (Zabaleta and Clichy were poor)

gio's side step said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

It was the wide players which caused us problems in the cup final (Zabaleta and Clichy were poor)

As I posted, there were plenty of culprits that day, and the full-backs were afforded no protection whatsoever.

It was clear inside the first five minutes we had a big problem, and Mancini failed to address it, or that Aguero and Barry were having an anonymous showing.

Barry's error sticks in my mind because it was so technically poor and sloppy. The look Zab shoots towards Gareth as he is leaving the pitch said it all.

It cost us big time. Despite us being shite. Personally, I firmly believe we would still have gone on to win that game had we eleven players on the pitch.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.