Garry Cook

peoffrey said:
Gary James said:
Many of his 'non-City supporting' critics highlighted his gaffes way out of proportion because they knew he was extremely good for MCFC. One very senior MCFC official once said to me at the height of the negativity towards Cook that they would 'rather have Cook warts and all, than someone who ducked every issue and hid from the media'. He was also described as a City warrior.

Cook is a passionate Blue now

One very Senior official wouldn't dare speak out against his Boss when chatting so someone as well known as you, Gary! You're usually a good read but you've got that wrong. And he did hide from the media. He would rather be doing his walkabout in Denmark or Germany where he posed for pictures in his City blazer and bought the beer as opposed to dealing with the Press. I've had this confirmed to me by the biggest City fan I know.

Cook grew up a Birmingham City fan. How can he change what team he supports? Can't be done.

I also spoke with his boss (and of course I didn't just interview one of his peers or one senior official)

peoffrey said:
blueyorkie said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
They eventually refused to deal with Everton & Newcastle because their boards were deemed to be unprofessional. Our executive board, led by Cook, was seen as a serious and professional group of people who had a compelling vision for the club. Whatever his gaffes, this club owes Cook a lot.

Spot on Colin

LOL! Would you have been able to write that yourself? And calling PB by his first name just makes the two of you look cliquey.

Cook had a fantastic job yet the only lie we know about saw him asked to resign. Bill Kenwright and Mike Ashley make anyone look professional. Cook the least worst of the 3 with appointments like Brian Marwood being absurd. The Guy is woefully out of his depth.
I'm just wondering here Peoffrey, is this your view of not just Cook but the rest of our set-up? The reason I ask is because I have a sneaky feeling that some of those who don't rate what Cook did for us commercially, will probably have a similar opinion of our manager and owner, especially now he has gone.

I'd like to know your view on Mancini, now and prior to winning the league?

Also, do you have, and have you had, faith in the owners and Khaldoon to do the right thing for our club?

I know it's a bit off-topic but it would alleviate any thoughts of mine that you are not trusting of the management team to deliver.

Thanks in advance.

Gary James said:
peoffrey said:
Gary James said:
Many of his 'non-City supporting' critics highlighted his gaffes way out of proportion because they knew he was extremely good for MCFC. One very senior MCFC official once said to me at the height of the negativity towards Cook that they would 'rather have Cook warts and all, than someone who ducked every issue and hid from the media'. He was also described as a City warrior.

One very Senior official wouldn't dare speak out against his Boss when chatting so someone as well known as you, Gary! You're usually a good read but you've got that wrong. And he did hide from the media. He would rather be doing his walkabout in Denmark or Germany where he posed for pictures in his City blazer and bought the beer as opposed to dealing with the Press. I've had this confirmed to me by the biggest City fan I know.

Cook grew up a Birmingham City fan. How can he change what team he supports? Can't be done.

I also spoke with his boss (and of course I didn't just interview one of his peers or one senior official)
Questioning the Oracle? Now I know you're on a Wind-Up.

Podcast now available on iTunes

Search podcasts for "in the spotlight"

It was an interesting interview, but a sandwich with no filling. When it came to the "deal" that brought the Sheikh to City, boy! Did he duck and dive, we learnt precisely nothing.

The phrase ""A proxy brand for Abu Dhabi" was revealing, to see where this story is going you have to see it in those terms.

peoffrey said:
blueyorkie said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
They eventually refused to deal with Everton & Newcastle because their boards were deemed to be unprofessional. Our executive board, led by Cook, was seen as a serious and professional group of people who had a compelling vision for the club. Whatever his gaffes, this club owes Cook a lot.

Spot on Colin

LOL! Would you have been able to write that yourself? And calling PB by his first name just makes the two of you look cliquey.

Cook had a fantastic job yet the only lie we know about saw him asked to resign. Bill Kenwright and Mike Ashley make anyone look professional. Cook the least worst of the 3 with appointments like Brian Marwood being absurd. The Guy is woefully out of his depth.

Poef according to someone in authority at the toon Mr Cooks presentation and vision blew everyone els out of the water as far as ADUG were concerned

grim up north said:
peoffrey said:
blueyorkie said:
Spot on Colin

Poef according to someone in authority at the toon Mr Cooks presentation and vision blew everyone els out of the water as far as ADUG were concerned

I've no doubt that Cook blew them away, he strikes me as a man who knows what the prospective client is looking for and he gives it to them in spades, not a common skill believe me.
Those negotiations are more like poker than an open discourse of intent, the ability to deduce "where the deal is" is how he made his living, I'd have loved to have been part of that bid. Everything that has subsequently followed started with that deal and for that, and more, I take my hat off to him.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
peoffrey said:
Gary James said:

just ask Vinjay.

Quality!

Prestwich_Blue said:
Franny Lee grew up a Bolton fan.
Colin Bell grew up in the North East and was presumably originally a Newcastle supporter. I believe John Wardle used to watch United regularly until Dave Makin "converted" him.

Mike Summerbee grew up in the West Country, as did Tony Book. Yet these two carried the Premiership trophy out to the presentation just a few weeks ago. Should we have asked SWP & Nedum to do that instead?

No one is claiming that Cook was a perfect human being and his failure to deal with the email incident properly was staggeringly inept. Yet the good he did for the club far outweighs the bad.

Out of everyone on this thread, you're the only one I'd actually enjoying having an exchange with because you've answered questions and raised points of your own whilst everyone else has just taken the piss and, crucially, not made me think about anything they've said. My views on that odious slimeball haven't changed and the humiliation he must have felt upon leaving City always cheer me up when I'm down.

Why should a player or employee at the Club actually even need to support City in the same manner I do? They've got memories of good things they've achieved - but when they're on the payroll then their remit changes forever. Cook will never see things like we do because of his relationship with the Club and he's rid himself of the blind faith a fan has.

And why has every Blue got a signifcant opinion on Cook? Ask me what I thought of Alistair Mackintosh and I couldn't tell you. I didn't even know what he looked like yet Cook went for this celebrity CEO image and was just setting himself up again and again and again.

What too many people don't understand is that Cook is ultimately replaceable. Is he the only person in the world than can do his job? No.

The Future's Blue said:
I'm just wondering here Peoffrey, is this your view of not just Cook but the rest of our set-up? The reason I ask is because I have a sneaky feeling that some of those who don't rate what Cook did for us commercially, will probably have a similar opinion of our manager and owner, especially now he has gone.

Also, do you have, and have you had, faith in the owners and Khaldoon to do the right thing for our club?

I know it's a bit off-topic but it would alleviate any thoughts of mine that you are not trusting of the management team to deliver.

Thanks in advance.

A sneaky feeling, hey? Well, I'd rid yourself of such poorly thought opinions because I think Khuldoon Al Mubarak is a wonderful Chairman and a very able businessman. He handled Cook's departure professionally and I'm also always interested to watch his interviews on the City site. He's eloquent and intelligent. I have every belief that he'll appoint the right CEO.

I didn't want Mancini at first. I thought his record flattered to deceive in terms of how he "won" two of his three Serie A's with Inter and his record in the Champions League was very poor in comparison to Serie A. And I also thought it was wrong of him to accept the job whilst there was no vacancy. He should've insisted Hughes was dismissed before he agreed to take over. Initially, I found his defensive football disgusting considering the talent we had available and was deeply unhappy to pay £50+ to watch 0-0 draws at Arsenal (twice), Spurs etc. Were you there? The FA Cup run was also fortunate (no solid opposition until the Semi Finals) but felt the win seemed to instigate what we now have in place. We can't sit back though because we need to give the Champions League a better go next season. If Mancini doesn't agree then I'll help him empty his desk.

peoffrey said:
The Future's Blue said:

Thanks in advance.

A sneaky feeling, hey? Well, I'd rid yourself of such poorly thought opinions because I think Khuldoon Al Mubarak is a wonderful Chairman and a very able businessman. He handled Cook's departure professionally and I'm also always interested to watch his interviews on the City site. He's eloquent and intelligent. I have every belief that he'll appoint the right CEO.

I didn't want Mancini at first. I thought his record flattered to deceive in terms of how he "won" two of his three Serie A's with Inter and his record in the Champions League was very poor in comparison to Serie A. And I also thought it was wrong of him to accept the job whilst there was no vacancy. He should've insisted Hughes was dismissed before he agreed to take over. Initially, I found his defensive football disgusting considering the talent we had available and was deeply unhappy to pay £50+ to watch 0-0 draws at Arsenal (twice), Spurs etc. Were you there? The FA Cup run was also fortunate (no solid opposition until the Semi Finals) but felt the win seemed to instigate what we now have in place. We can't sit back though because we need to give the Champions League a better go next season. If Mancini doesn't agree then I'll help him empty his desk.
So, to summarise, you like Khuldoon because he is class and you think Mancini was lucky? Here's one then, how can you trust in a person that puts his faith in someone you have such little respect for; his own choice by the way?

And, what's it got to do if I was there, in a dismissive way? Are you saying that because you turned up for a game or two that you have more of a say than myself, who also turns up for a game or two?

And last but not least, what about the Sheikh, is he worth your trust?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.