Gas & Electricity

I am with octopus and did the same last night. I was paying £1200 a year 12 months ago and my estimate was just over £7k. I actually laughed when I saw it. It’s like when you get a quote for car or home insurance from Compare The Market and you look at the highest prices first by accident before you realise what you have done. It then dawned on me that I wasn’t comparing the market, this is the best price….. It’s totally unrealistic and even those that can afford to pay it will be pissed off. The economy is going to fall off a cliff as peoples disposable incomes shrink to nothing. All sectors are going to suffer with leisure and social activities likely the first to be hit. It’s shocking seeing what’s coming down the line, and with the Tory twats fighting amongst themselves, this country is fucked for the forseeable.
I know fixed rate deals are very hard to come by right now but surely there is a better fix available than that somewhere? If it's still higher than the next few predicted price caps then probably just best to go on the standard variable rate. Granted that will be shit as well but it will still be cheaper due to the price cap. Or am I missing something here? Are those of you with Octopus effectively stuck with them for the time being and can't switch elsewhere?

I know fixed rate deals are very hard to come by right now but surely there is a better fix available than that somewhere? If it's still higher than the next few predicted price caps then probably just best to go on the standard variable rate. Granted that will be shit as well but it will still be cheaper due to the price cap. Or am I missing something here? Are those of you with Octopus effectively stuck with them for the time being and can't switch elsewhere?
We’re not stuck with octopus, it was just that I put the meter readings in and thought I’d have a look at what they were offering. I always fixed previously at the best possible rate, but our supplier went bust and we got transferred to octopus. I checked the other suppliers at the time and do so frequently with octopus being the cheapest for us at the moment.

I am particularly tight, so I turn most electrical things off at night, much to the annoyance of my Mrs. who often finds that tv programmes she has recorded stop part way through as I’ve turned the power off to the tv before going to bed!

It’s just scandalous that these costs have risen seven fold in 12 months.

I am with octopus and did the same last night. I was paying £1200 a year 12 months ago and my estimate was just over £7k. I actually laughed when I saw it. It’s like when you get a quote for car or home insurance from Compare The Market and you look at the highest prices first by accident before you realise what you have done. It then dawned on me that I wasn’t comparing the market, this is the best price….. It’s totally unrealistic and even those that can afford to pay it will be pissed off. The economy is going to fall off a cliff as peoples disposable incomes shrink to nothing. All sectors are going to suffer with leisure and social activities likely the first to be hit. It’s shocking seeing what’s coming down the line, and with the Tory twats fighting amongst themselves, this country is fucked for the forseeable.
I wonder how long it will be before people fuck their season tickets off?
It could be a very emptyhad by February.

As I rent I am on pre pay meters for gas and electric. I want to keep the costs down as much as possible so should I be asking my landlord if I can change to direct debit, or should I make the effort to upgrade to a smart meter? Last time British Gas cancelled on me at the last minute.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.