Gas & Electricity

Energy storage is relatively easy, you just need to appreciate that there are losses in the conversion process. There are some days where we do generate an excess on top of the baseload that we currently get from Nuclear and the limited coal Powerstations (mainly Drax). Once up and running the production and storage of green hydrogen is pretty simple. Likewise liquified compressed air, the ideal place to store it is underground and seen as the coal mines aren’t producing much coal these days…

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-liquid-air-battery-starts-construction-in-uk

You are right about coal, the UK were leaders in low carbon emission coal plants but a decision was made to decommission them because gas was seen to be cleaner and cheaper.
The issue of energy security has never been high on anyones agenda until now. For the suppliers it’s been about maximising margins and from a government point of view, placating the oil and gas producers.
The scale of the problem is the main problem. We could build storage capacity but it'll take many years and our energy needs will of moved on. This is the problem that China is having and it's why they're building coal stations first. They are literally growing faster than they can commission so they have no choice but to restrict growth or build something that's fast and cheap, we all know the choice they'll make. We could do the same but environmental regulations prevent that.

In any event the future of energy is a bit bleak to be honest, we're doing well to move over to renewables but the side effect is a considerable loss of security. There was an argument to retain our gas storage capacity but at the time it was actually a good decision to get rid of it because gas demand was reducing. I doubt anyone saw a proxy war with Russia coming because that would of meant the end of the world but that's where we are today.

I think I've said on this thread before that I'm surprised at the really ignorant reactions to what's happening in energy. We are virtually at war with Russia and given Russia supplies most of the worlds gas it should not be a surprise that things are going to get very difficult. We now need to get our gas elsewhere but so does the rest of the world and the consequence of that plus COVID is the price has increased by 400% since last year.

The government of course should be helping people with bills but that's perhaps the only difference between us and other countries who are all face the exact same problem.

The scale of the problem is the main problem. We could build storage capacity but it'll take many years and our energy needs will of moved on. This is the problem that China is having and it's why they're building coal stations first. They are literally growing faster than they can commission so they have no choice but to restrict growth or build something that's fast and cheap, we all know the choice they'll make. We could do the same but environmental regulations prevent that.

In any event the future of energy is a bit bleak to be honest, we're doing well to move over to renewables but the side effect is a considerable loss of security. There was an argument to retain our gas storage capacity but at the time it was actually a good decision to get rid of it because gas demand was reducing. I doubt anyone saw a proxy war with Russia coming because that would of meant the end of the world but that's where we are today.

I think I've said on this thread before that I'm surprised at the really ignorant reactions to what's happening in energy. We are virtually at war with Russia and given Russia supplies most of the worlds gas it should not be a surprise that things are going to get very difficult. We now need to get our gas elsewhere but so does the rest of the world and the consequence of that plus COVID is the price has increased by 400% since last year.

The government of course should be helping people with bills but that's perhaps the only difference between us and other countries who are all face the exact same problem.
The situation with Russia has been bubbling under for years and I find it hard to believe that in government circles they didn't see the risk of it happening. They have entire departments planning for such things.

Its the same as what we have done with manufacturing, getting so much of it done in China. We only need them to go on a Taiwanese adventure and virtually all our IT infrastructure uses kit made in China or developed there. Look at the worry over 5G and the amount of Huawei kit being used which may be compromised.

It looks great when you get something that does the job and its cheap. The problem is that there are costs elsewhere in the long term.

It looks great when you get something that does the job and its cheap. The problem is that there are costs elsewhere in the long term.

Only if we want to buy IT kit from China and gas from Russia AND dictate their foreign policy.

Ukraine is not our problem, Taiwan is not our problem, these places only become our problem because we choose them to be our problem.

Putin and Xi Jinping like this post. ;-)

A lot more than Putin and Xi. We kid ourselves that the world stands behind Ukraine and Taiwan, it doesn't. Russia is winning the war of ideas beyond the Anglosphere, beyond Europe and the West, beyond the "rules based system" (rules the West wrote itself) and beyond the absurdity of universal rights (rights written by the West).

Only if we want to buy IT kit from China and gas from Russia AND dictate their foreign policy.

Ukraine is not our problem, Taiwan is not our problem, these places only become our problem because we choose them to be our problem.
The majority of British people are happy to make big sacrifices for the Ukrainian war effort mate

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.