Gas & Electricity

Really? What makes you say that?

Because this is not about guns, missiles and civilian casualties, horrible as it all is. This is about power politics and the war of ideas.

The responsibility for this war rests squarely on the shoulders of Putin, but Putin is not mad, he's not a little Hitler and he's not suffering some mental of physical breakdown, he has a rationale for this war and a world view that differs from ours, understanding that is where the solution to this catastrophe lies.

Because this is not about guns, missiles and civilian casualties, horrible as it all is. This is about power politics and the war of ideas.

The responsibility for this war rests squarely on the shoulders of Putin, but Putin is not mad, he's not a little Hitler and he's not suffering some mental of physical breakdown, he has a rationale for this war and a world view that differs from ours, understanding that is where the solution to this catastrophe lies.
I agree with that. Whether he is mad is not really relevant, but I’m sure in his head, he has a plan. However, it’s hard to see how the current war will end with him gaining anything. In fact, if he’s counting on China’s support, he may get a very nasty shock in the next few years if they try to take parts of the East off him.

Well I used it as a figure of speech. I believe that Russia did launch missiles from the Black Sea, but it doesn’t really matter what type of projectiles they were, does it?

They are regularly launching missiles/using artillery to wipe out Ukrainian civilians. Correct or not? Or are you saying that this is a fabrication of Western media?
Here's a question...Do you trust "Western Media" Implicitly?...Jimmy Savile, Hillsborough, Jill Dando, ect or just when it lines up with your beliefs?

Here's a question...Do you trust "Western Media" Implicitly?...Jimmy Savile, Hillsborough, Jill Dando, ect or just when it lines up with your beliefs?
No, I usually do my own reading on the subject and what’s happening in Ukraine seems to have been predicted by many commentators that were ignored by the major Western powers. Thankfully they’ve come together quickly and now realise the danger.

How about you? You seem to be suggesting that Western media are making it all up, or are somehow exaggerating events?

Just to be clear: my original statement was that I am aligned with the governments who believe that Russia are in the wrong here, and as another poster suggested, many of us Brits are happy to bear a bit of discomfort if it means our government does the right thing.

Whatever the failings of the BBC, CNN or The Guardian, I’m inclined to believe that they’ll be closer to the truth than Russia Today, the Baghdad Bugle or whatever North Korea publishes.

I am aligned with the governments who believe that Russia are in the wrong
You have absolutely no proof that this is the case...Here's the deal, from experience...
As mad as it sounds, I've met Winnie Mandela... Was part of a Manchester delegation that awarded her a sculpture on behalf of her "struggle" while Nelson was still in prison...Treated her like queen....twenty years later turns out she was a piece of shit...I was duped...Hardest thing i've ever had to admit...some people never admit their mistakes....

You have absolutely no proof that this is the case...Here's the deal, from experience...
As mad as it sounds, I've met Winnie Mandela... Was part of a Manchester delegation that awarded her a sculpture on behalf of her "struggle" while Nelson was still in prison...Treated her like queen....twenty years later turns out she was a piece of shit...I was duped...Hardest thing i've ever had to admit...some people never admit their mistakes....
i have 100% proof that I am aligned with Western governments on their stance on Russia. Are you telling me how to think now?
What mistake am I supposed to be admitting?
I don’t KNOW 100% that Western coverage is accurate anymore than you know it isn’t, but it’s an educated guess based on what I’ve read about the Putin regime in BOOKS.

I don’t want to argue with you on this, I was simply stating my position. You made a mistake with Winnie Mandela and it’s got no bearing on the situation we are discussing.

I don’t want to derail the thread any longer so any further discussion is better in the Ukraine thread.

i have 100% proof that I am aligned with Western governments on their stance on Russia. Are you telling me how to think now?
What mistake am I supposed to be admitting?
I don’t KNOW 100% that Western coverage is accurate anymore than you know it isn’t, but it’s an educated guess based on what I’ve read about the Putin regime in BOOKS.

I don’t want to argue with you on this, I was simply stating my position. You made a mistake with Winnie Mandela and it’s got no bearing on the situation we are discussing.

I don’t want to derail the thread any longer so any further discussion is better in the Ukraine thread.
Not one bit of my post was an attack...Just merely an observation of an 57 year old man who has been around a bit..Particularly around the orbit of some big hitters in Mancunian politics from the late seventies till early to mid nineties....My observation is "What's good for the goose" seems to be the motto...I have no reason to suspect it to be any different on a global level..

Nothing is black and white..

Last edited:
I would of thought that electricity storage on this scale is close to impossible as the wastage will be huge and costs will be similarly very high. It's easy to store gas because you just need a chamber but for electricity you need batteries and lots of them but the life of a battery is only 8-10 years. Batteries also reduce in capacity over their life so your storage capacity effectively reduces over time too, it's not a great way of using what should really be 'free' electricity.

Unfortunately renewables will only ever provide energy on demand because they just don't generate enough electricity. At the moment renewables are used to supplement our main energy source which is burning gas. This isn't going to change until renewables are available 100% of the time but that's impossible with solar and wind. Even with increased capacity, if we turned the entire country over to renewables right now then the lights would go out.

The alternative is as you say to build and invest in nuclear on a huge scale. The only way to carbon zero is to replace gas with nuclear until better technology comes along such as fusion or something. We're then also immune from wholesale gas prices because we wouldn't need to buy gas.

Obviously the green people and NIMBY's won't like it but then the only other alternative is to get used to paying current energy prices whilst also polluting the atmosphere with Co2. That's the price of burning what is now a very expensive and supply restricted commodity.

A second way to cheaper energy is to go back to coal but there's very little chance of selling that!
Bring on coal, reopen Agecroft pit. Live for the moment.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.