Gas & Electricity

I have been looking to get ahead of the curve with this, my bills are usually around £70 a month for gas and electric, i have been paying £150 in order to build up a buffer for when these hikes hit.

With the £66 government assistance I am now in effect paying £216 a month into the account, i am expecting my bill this moth to be in the region of £100 and next month expect to see my gas usage increase further so maybe go up in the region of £130 a month. As such I expect to be fine going forward.

The reality is that I am fortunate that I don't really need the Government assistance payment, herein lies the issue though how do the government get the money to the people who really need it?
Christ we are paying £330 a month.

Have to laugh at some posts on here and posters who claim their bills are £80 a month for both.

Where do they live? A fucking shoe box??

4 bed end terrace I use a dishwasher and a dryer paying 80 quid a month for both atm haha, will go up alot once my fixed rate ends. I'm a tight **** with the heating though.

Bill is going up now for gas heating on for an hour in morning and night 20 degrees, add standing charge and we are getting upto £3 a day, chuck a bath in and that will be nearly £4 with a bit of cooking. Budgeted for £5 a day now so let’s see how we go! Leccy is the same everyday.

Octopus didnt take the £66 government credit out of our direct debit this month as they did in October. Instead for some reason they took the full nominated D.D of £167 and the governments £66 was paid to account in addition so £233.

After a meter reading today we are showing a credit of £203 with the next payments to account on 3rd December, so effectively around £160 of this may get used up leaving circa £60 caried forward in credit toward the next month alongside another £233 D.D payment to account.

Question is should I be taking a % refund so we are in a position of paying roughly what we owe at every month end, or just allow it to build in case of future increases in April.

I know a few on here are building, but does it make sense to allow utility companies to claw ever rising interest on our advance payments and credits. Avro took us for over £400 when they went under, not that I imagine Octopus will suffer the same fate.

In an ideal world I should be owing them money at month end and then paying them, but if I sack the D.D they will charge me extra on the unit rate for the priviledge. Maybe the few pence extra on the unit rates for non D.D is worth it to pay the amount that we actually use. Thoughts?

Octopus let you vary the DD to pay what you want.
Only to a degree Denis, their bot took over when I set it low in trying to rectify my perceived overpayment. They should have taken £167 minus the £66 and not £167 + the £66.

I logged on and adjusted the Decembers D.D settings down to £60 to compensate and it wouldnt allow me, so I can either ring up and ask for a credit or just leave it to build to account.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.