Gas & Electricity

Little experiment tonight as house is getting cold now, once the house is upto temperature every half hour the heating kicks in to get back to 20 degrees after dropping to around 19.6. We had the heating on an extra 2 and half hours and it cost us about £1. So today we had the heating on for 1 hour this morning it cost, £1.20, a bath cost us about 80p and the heating on tonight for 3 1/4 hours cost £2.34, add in standing charge of 28p.
Total cost today £4.62, with no cooking (chippy tea) you could add 50p for that normally. So I reckoned on £5 a day budget if needed, but we have a lot of credit so on those really cold days it could be on longer if needed.
Trouble is my wife works from home and she as we all know women gets cold unless is 40 degrees! I feel like fucking Scrooge can I put another coal on the fire, it seems though it would be more economical in the colder days to have the heating on for longer periods than intermittent bursts as the house will never get warm before it cuts out.

You'll earn 1800 OctoPoints – that's £2.25 worth – for every unit of electricity you cut down between 5:00 PM and 6:00 PM on 15th November.

Opt in now to save power and earn rewards in this Session. You'll go into a draw to win an extra 400,000 OctoPoints – that's £500 worth! – just for opting in.

Important: you need to opt in before the Session starts if you want to earn rewards.

We've got an extra challenge for your first Session: cut down even more power to earn our Super Saver Bonus. The top 10% of Savers in this Session (i.e those who reduce the highest % of their normal power use) will each earn an extra 1,000 bonus OctoPoints – worth £1.25.

What do I do in the Saving Session?
Cut down your electricity use between 5:00 PM and 6:00 PM on 15th November. You'll earn 1800 OctoPoints for every kilowatt hour of electricity you don't use compared to what you normally use.

Don't worry about sending us readings: your smart meter will do this for you.

How do you calculate what I normally use?
We look at your smart meter readings to find out how much electricity you typically used at the same time of day over the previous 10 days (excluding days when there's been a Saving Session). Find out more in our FAQs.

How much are OctoPoints worth?
If you manage to save a kilowatt hour of electricity in this Session, you'll earn 1800 OctoPoints - that's £2.25. You can turn your OctoPoints into account credit online at any time.

When will I get my OctoPoints?
In the few days after a Session, we'll use your smart meter readings to work out how much power you saved. You'll be able to see how you did on your Saving Sessions dashboard, and any earnings will be added to your OctoPoints page within two weeks.
Love & power,

Pete Miller
Head of Customer Experience
Octopus Energy

So far Gunny you've earned 1288 OctoPoints (or £1.61) over 1 Saving Session

Last updated at 6:00pm 15/11/22

You saved 92% in the last session

Amazing effort, well done!
You cut down by 92%

We were sheduled to earn 1800 OctoPoints – or £2.25 worth – for every unit of electricity cut down between 5:00 PM and 6:00 PM. As we only saved 2/3 a unit we earned 1288 octoPoints equating to £1.61, plus 2/3 of 0.33 a k/w savings at 0.22p @circa £1.83.

If their "grid reduction scheme" was trialed five days a week it may have been feasable married alongside the kilo cals burned on one hour wobbles. As Machiavelli once said the end does not justify the means and we would have been far more motovated had the rewards been OctoPints : /

Last edited:
Little experiment tonight as house is getting cold now, once the house is upto temperature every half hour the heating kicks in to get back to 20 degrees after dropping to around 19.6. We had the heating on an extra 2 and half hours and it cost us about £1. So today we had the heating on for 1 hour this morning it cost, £1.20, a bath cost us about 80p and the heating on tonight for 3 1/4 hours cost £2.34, add in standing charge of 28p.
Total cost today £4.62, with no cooking (chippy tea) you could add 50p for that normally. So I reckoned on £5 a day budget if needed, but we have a lot of credit so on those really cold days it could be on longer if needed.
Trouble is my wife works from home and she as we all know women gets cold unless is 40 degrees! I feel like fucking Scrooge can I put another coal on the fire, it seems though it would be more economical in the colder days to have the heating on for longer periods than intermittent bursts as the house will never get warm before it cuts out.
Ours is a big older house even with minimal heating on struggling to stay below £10 a day.

80p for a bath. How fucking big is it!

80p for a bath. How fucking big is it!
That’s not even halfway pal.
oh and EDF are cunts they are now saying my electric smart meter won’t work because of some power thing so I need to contact my provider?? Whoever the fuck that is as it’s to do with the electric before the meter, how the fuck they know that I don’t know but they installed the bastard why should I be running round trying to get it fixed. They can fuck off im not doing anything it’s back to manual readings, complete waste of time.

Put my readings in today , much the same as every month, last couple months my dd has been £34 for both but today they have wacked it up to £81 , dont understand , i am £135 in credit still , going to ring them tomorrow , scared my end of fix next month will put it up more , cunts

Finally found more info on the edf page , from jan it will be £97 a month , i have added a bit more credit so can plead with them tomorrow on the £81, wish me luck

Last edited:
Have put.my heating on for an hour this evening and it cost me £1. Is that about what everyone else is paying? Seems expensive to me.
Seems very expensive mate. Maybe check the flow rate temp on your boiler settings, how many radiators is that?
For 6 rads on a two bedroom gaff we use around 35p on a 30 minute constant burn set at a 60c flow rate.
The initial fire up to temperature uses the most then after that it becomes negligable.

Seems very expensive mate. Maybe check the flow rate temp on your boiler settings, how many radiators is that?
For 6 rads on a two bedroom gaff we use around 35p on a 30 minute constant burn set at a 60c flow rate.
The initial fire up to temperature uses the most then after that it becomes negligable.
Not sure what the flow rate is. Have just checked the rad temp it was set at 75. Have now set it to 60. Will check the cost again next time I put the heating on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.