Gas & Electricity

Are you with edf ? I wish they would go back to quarterly bills , easy to budget
British Gas, who also used to do quarterly statements but changed. Like you say, much easier to budget and keep on top of.

Just done a quick calculation over the last 4 days since it’s been freezing to check what we’ve used, 180KWH in gas which is £18.54 so £4.60 a day so roughly £155 a month including standing charge
We have used £50 including standing charge this week and the heatings been on about 12 hours a day, baths every few days and cooking lumped in, I can handle that and not be freezing my balls off. The majority is taken up with getting house to temperature each day then it just tops itself up the rest of the day. Our leccy has increased a bit, xmas lights and the dryer every now and then, think I’m working on £400 a month all in at the worst, with my build up of credit etc I can handle that until April when the heating will be off.

Anyone on here who’s genuinely struggling by that I mean sitting in the dark not putting there heating on or have no credit in there pre payment meters I’d quite happily help to top you up, or a few of us who can afford it throw a couple of quid in the kitty to help fellow blues
Who are really struggling at the moment
Not struggling per say but it's definitely a worry for me.

I live on my own(Although I have my 9 year old son with me most weekends)

I work from home and work give my an extra £30 a month.

I'm on both pre pay meters for gas and electric. The £66 electric payment is a god send for me as that pretty much covers me for the month but gas is a fucking killer.

An hour's worth of gas costs me around £1.17! And the last week I've really felt it.

Only put the gas on now maybe 30 minutes in the morning and and maybe 30 mins at night and when my lad is with me and when I'm using the oven. Don't wash the pots every night and only really use hot water when I absolutely have to.

Im showering maybe every 2 to 3 days as it's an electric shower

I keep myself warm during the day I drink lots of brews and I've got a couple of those oversized wool hoodies which do keep me warm but look ridiculous but I really don't care as they keep me warm.

Bought a 1000w portable heater so if it's really cold during the day I'll put that on in my bedroom where my mini office is for more warmth. That's about 35p per hour to run so it's not too bad and definitely cheaper than gas.

It's a struggle for sure but I'm just about coping and I've got friends and family who can help me financially if I'm really struggling which I'm thankful for. A lot of people who are struggling don't have that

Not struggling per say but it's definitely a worry for me.

I live on my own(Although I have my 9 year old son with me most weekends)

I work from home and work give my an extra £30 a month.

I'm on both pre pay meters for gas and electric. The £66 electric payment is a god send for me as that pretty much covers me for the month but gas is a fucking killer.

An hour's worth of gas costs me around £1.17! And the last week I've really felt it.

Only put the gas on now maybe 30 minutes in the morning and and maybe 30 mins at night and when my lad is with me and when I'm using the oven. Don't wash the pots every night and only really use hot water when I absolutely have to.

Im showering maybe every 2 to 3 days as it's an electric shower

I keep myself warm during the day I drink lots of brews and I've got a couple of those oversized wool hoodies which do keep me warm but look ridiculous but I really don't care as they keep me warm.

Bought a 1000w portable heater so if it's really cold during the day I'll put that on in my bedroom where my mini office is for more warmth. That's about 35p per hour to run so it's not too bad and definitely cheaper than gas.

It's a struggle for sure but I'm just about coping and I've got friends and family who can help me financially if I'm really struggling which I'm thankful for. A lot of people who are struggling don't have that
Good to hear you are managing to cope so far
As you say though, there must be many at their wits end with the struggle.

Is their a way of calculating how much your heating/boiler costs per hour? I can't have a smart meter, they've tried them twice but as my gas meter is too far away and is outside, it never picked up a signal.

I have a Worcester Greenstar 4000i 30kw boiler. 12 months old

Is their a way of calculating how much your heating/boiler costs per hour? I can't have a smart meter, they've tried them twice but as my gas meter is too far away and is outside, it never picked up a signal.

It’s a 30kw ph boiler then mate so if you take the average of say 10p per kw, that’s a cost of £3.00 an hour to run the boiler. You’d need to check your KWh price though

Take a meter reading now then another in 2 days and log how many hours you’ve had it on for.
It’s a 30kw ph boiler then mate so if you take the average of say 10p per kw, that’s a cost of £3.00 an hour to run the boiler. You’d need to check your KWh price though
Boilers modulate down to about 8-10kw for heating 30kw is just for the instant hot water

We resisted as long as we could with the heating but got to a point where I thought ‘wtf are we doing?’

Not sitting in the cold for next 3 months even if it means running up a daft bill, aint gonna cut us off with two young children.

Looking like about £10 a day if with the heating on for most of it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.