Gas & Electricity

Have you got a normal boiler (not a combi/condensing). If so it’s probably the flow control valve (three way motorised valve) that’s sticking.

It's not a combi or anything fancy. It's been in the house since we moved in, 22 years ago. I wouldn't have the first clue how to unstick the flow control valve though.

As long as it's not an emergency plumber you may well save more money than the call out costs if you get it fixed now.

We've budgeted for a new boiler, so might just take the plunge with that in the new year. There are only the two of us now, and we are coping quite well.

Thanks for comments though.

power cuts email today:

If needed, power cuts would be scheduled in blocks and blocks are made up of a number of properties and assigned a letter identifier. Blocks will have power cuts on a rota and the timings of these will be announced publicly in advance.

power cuts email today:

If needed, power cuts would be scheduled in blocks and blocks are made up of a number of properties and assigned a letter identifier. Blocks will have power cuts on a rota and the timings of these will be announced publicly in advance.
Who’s that from your supplier. Jesus if we are gearing up for that it must be bad.

It's not a combi or anything fancy. It's been in the house since we moved in, 22 years ago. I wouldn't have the first clue how to unstick the flow control valve though.

We've budgeted for a new boiler, so might just take the plunge with that in the new year. There are only the two of us now, and we are coping quite well.

I don't think you can, and even if you did manage it, it would only happen again down the line, it would need to be replaced. As far as I'm aware it's not a particularly difficult or long job but that may depend on accessibility to the part.

As @Centurions said the part is about £80 and a half decent plumber would take about an hour to fit it.

Sent my Dec reading in to Octopus this morning. Do it on the 20th of every month.
Just got my bill.
£199 gas in December compared to £90 last month.
Electricity has been £71 and some pence for each of the last three months.

Went visiting friends in Warrington today, one of them said when he nipped to the local co-op one of the staff told him the orford area of Warrington had their power cut and it was for more than the 4 hours stated by the government, no idea whether there’s any truth in what the staff member told him.

Sounds like good advice to me.

@richardtheref Did anyone take meter readings back in July (I'm guessing she moved suppliers at the time)? A photo would be ideal for proof.

As Dennis is fond of telling people, a 'fixed deal' means the unit price is fixed only which is true, but the actual usage has to stay roughly the same and obviously the figures they're working on have to be accurate.

For anyone else thinking of changing suppliers or moving house, always take readings and photos of both meters on the starting date and make the new supplier aware of them and that you have proof.

Edit: I presume you have since given readings?
We have sent them meter readings but they are saying the ones supplied by previous supplier were incorrect. Previous company never once took readings. The problem I have is that their contract actually says "your direct debit will remain at £157 for the duration of the contract". Nowhere does it mention unit prices increasing etc

Got our energy bill on the 30th December covering September to early December. Posted according to British Gas on the 16th December, arriving two weeks later and due by the 30th December which is nice. Luckily British Gas don't normally cut you off immediately, otherwise royal mail would have some questions to answer from me.

Looking at the usage, were pleased we've been able to reduce our electricity usage by 20% and our gas by 50% compared to the same period last year. Shows how much we can save and some lessons learned in terms of sustainability and affordability for the future. Electric blankets and Sherpa throws have been good investments, switching off anything not being used and thermostats on radiators allowing us to shut off unused rooms completely from heating during even the coldest days. Plus not being decedent enough to just keep the heating on all day just because we used to do it for convenience.

Yet this huge reduction in usage has still resulted in a bill £150 higher than last year, although with the government payments it is slightly less. We've also felt the effects on our health and mentality, having a house which reaches a maximum of 16c and is normally in the 10-14c range isn't good for you. Luckily we have two active kids who keep warm because they never keep still, and we can grin and bear it with an extra layer or three. But I wouldn't really recommend it to others, especially those like my parents who need the warmth even more.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.