Gas & Electricity

So, we're coming to the end of our 3 year fix at the end of September and due to the previous 3 year fix we've been isolated to a certain extent from the price rises. (just lucky timing, not by design). I've just checked the MSE comparison site and it's telling me it'll be between a 25 & 30% price rise based on current prices. Of course on the 1st of October it's predicted to rise by another 10% with that rise remaining in January so it'll be here for at least the 6 months.

This thread has been quite for awhile but are there any ideas or suggestions besides burning the furniture? Fixed or variable? There are the odd 2 year fixes that cost more now but I'm not sure if sticking to 1 year deals would be better for now.

Edit: We had to have a new meter fitted today as the boiler service ended up with finding the meter having a leak. That means the smart meters already gone as the gas board don't fit them, so another variable to consider.

So, we're coming to the end of our 3 year fix at the end of September and due to the previous 3 year fix we've been isolated to a certain extent from the price rises. (just lucky timing, not by design). I've just checked the MSE comparison site and it's telling me it'll be between a 25 & 30% price rise based on current prices. Of course on the 1st of October it's predicted to rise by another 10% with that rise remaining in January so it'll be here for at least the 6 months.

This thread has been quite for awhile but are there any ideas or suggestions besides burning the furniture? Fixed or variable? There are the odd 2 year fixes that cost more now but I'm not sure if sticking to 1 year deals would be better for now.

Edit: We had to have a new meter fitted today as the boiler service ended up with finding the meter having a leak. That means the smart meters already gone as the gas board don't fit them, so another variable to consider.
Martin Lewis's weekly email has just landed in my inbox and he's hinting at people to fix. You can fix today for 12 months with British Gas at current rate (no requirement for smart meter, new and existing customers) or for 1% less with outfox the market (no smart meter required)

Cornwall insight prediction is that in 12 months time the cap will be UP 9% on today's price.

These companies have all become cunts and we are so badly ripped off in the UK for everything. Always go fixed though, never variable. Every single last person I know is hugely in credit between usage and what they want in DD for it. Just one of those games you have to play, and its all shit. Can take out the surplus. Me and my gf went to Benidorm on it in March. Think of it as a savings fund.

As an aside I will say that in my view folk have become much more conscious around what they use, which is no bad thing. I dont mean about the climate, I mean about rhe habitual switching on of the heating when its not needed, and yes I mean by the females in the dwelling

These companies have all become cunts and we are so badly ripped off in the UK for everything. Always go fixed though, never variable. Every single last person I know is hugely in credit between usage and what they want in DD for it. Just one of those games you have to play, and its all shit. Can take out the surplus. Me and my gf went to Benidorm on it in March. Think of it as a savings fund.

As an aside I will say that in my view folk have become much more conscious around what they use, which is no bad thing. I dont mean about the climate, I mean about rhe habitual switching on of the heating when its not needed, and yes I mean by the females in the dwelling
I don’t think I’d ever fix again.

We fixed in 2022 when things were heading in an apocalyptic direction. One week later the government stepped in and put a cap on just above what we fixed at.

When prices fell we were left high and dry until this May, paying eye-watering rates. Now we’re back on variable, it feels like a bargain. Even if it goes up we are well below what we’ve been used to paying.

Our fix with Octopus ends in a month or so and we're looking at options with Octopus (can't be arsed changing supplier).

No new fixed deal available so weighing up if we should go Agile or Tracker. I suspect Tracker as neither of us work anymore so are at home during the day/peak periods.

Anyone been on them both? How did they compare?

I don’t think I’d ever fix again.

We fixed in 2022 when things were heading in an apocalyptic direction. One week later the government stepped in and put a cap on just above what we fixed at.

When prices fell we were left high and dry until this May, paying eye-watering rates. Now we’re back on variable, it feels like a bargain. Even if it goes up we are well below what we’ve been used to paying.
Surely if your fixed rate ends up above the cap then they have to bring it down to match? I thought that was the idea of the cap, that no matter if on variable or fixed, no one pays above the cap?

EDF haven't been bad with us in regards to the DD, if they have decided to up it and I've seen the credit build up, I've just used their online form to reduce it and they've never argued the toss with me about it.

My female is disabled and can't survive without the heat so I have to bite the bullet I'm afraid. Besides, she might start asking about the electric usage and decide my PC is using too much :(

Surely if your fixed rate ends up above the cap then they have to bring it down to match? I thought that was the idea of the cap, that no matter if on variable or fixed, no one pays above the cap?
No. You sign up for a fixed rate, then that's exactly what it is. So we were paying 9.73p for Gas and 33.48p for electricity between September 2022 and May 2024.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not moaning because we could afford it, and it was our choice to sign up (which obviously I did given that the rates were skyrocketing and we might have taken a serious hit - as other would have had the government not stepped in.

I was just explaining why I'd rather be on the standard variable rate.

Martin Lewis's weekly email has just landed in my inbox and he's hinting at people to fix. You can fix today for 12 months with British Gas at current rate (no requirement for smart meter, new and existing customers) or for 1% less with outfox the market (no smart meter required)

Cornwall insight prediction is that in 12 months time the cap will be UP 9% on today's price.
Yeah, I use MSE and the Energy Club myself although it's grim reading right now.

I'm surprised to see Outfox the Market still there, I thought they were one of the many who bit the bullet. I've got a couple of months of the present deal to make use of but it looks like the 2 year fixed deal for either OtM or EDF is favourite for us as there's only a £2 a month difference. We're with EDF now so may just be the best option although it's a bit of a gamble and fine margins everywhere.

No. You sign up for a fixed rate, then that's exactly what it is. So we were paying 9.73p for Gas and 33.48p for electricity between September 2022 and May 2024.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not moaning because we could afford it, and it was our choice to sign up (which obviously I did given that the rates were skyrocketing and we might have taken a serious hit - as other would have had the government not stepped in.

I was just explaining why I'd rather be on the standard variable rate.
Christ, we're currently paying 3.95p gas & 20.04p electric. The standing charges look like they'll be shooting up as well for us.

Tariff name
Tariff name
Tariff name
Easy Online 3 Year Fix Sep24​
Essentials Fixed 1Yr Aug25​
Essentials Fixed 2Yr Aug26​
Fixed term expires immediately prior to
01/10/24​
1st September 2025​
1st September 2026​
Payment method
Payment method
Payment method
Direct Debit (Fixed)​
Direct Debit (Fixed)​
Direct Debit (Fixed)​
Exit fee
Exit fee
£50.00​
£250.00​
Gas supply
Gas supply
Gas supply
Monthly estimate
Monthly estimate
£60.57 per month​
£63.04 per month​
Unit rate
Unit rate
Unit rate
3.95p per kWh​
5.39p per kWh​
5.66p per kWh​
Standing charge
Standing charge
Standing charge
26.11p per day​
31.65p per day​
31.65p per day​
Electricity supply
Electricity supply
Electricity supply
Monthly estimate
Monthly estimate
£84.23 per month​
£86.42 per month​
Unit rate
Unit rate
Unit rate
20.04p per kWh​
21.81p per kWh​
22.54p per kWh​
Standing charge
Standing charge
Standing charge
24.86p per day​
63.30p per day​
63.30p per day​

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.