Gas & Electricity

So, we're coming to the end of our 3 year fix at the end of September and due to the previous 3 year fix we've been isolated to a certain extent from the price rises. (just lucky timing, not by design). I've just checked the MSE comparison site and it's telling me it'll be between a 25 & 30% price rise based on current prices. Of course on the 1st of October it's predicted to rise by another 10% with that rise remaining in January so it'll be here for at least the 6 months.

This thread has been quite for awhile but are there any ideas or suggestions besides burning the furniture? Fixed or variable? There are the odd 2 year fixes that cost more now but I'm not sure if sticking to 1 year deals would be better for now.

Edit: We had to have a new meter fitted today as the boiler service ended up with finding the meter having a leak. That means the smart meters already gone as the gas board don't fit them, so another variable to consider.
at least you have had the benefit of a fixed rate over the energy crisis. My supplier went bust. Join Octopus and get a smart meter back. Whilst not perfect they are far better than most. I find the smart meter crucial in controlling my gas costs. do you have any secondary heating? we augment the CH with a couple of wood burning stoves which have helped a great deal. Have a look at MoneySaving Expert website. They have all sorts of advice as to whether to fix or not.

These companies have all become cunts and we are so badly ripped off in the UK for everything. Always go fixed though, never variable. Every single last person I know is hugely in credit between usage and what they want in DD for it. Just one of those games you have to play, and its all shit. Can take out the surplus. Me and my gf went to Benidorm on it in March. Think of it as a savings fund.

As an aside I will say that in my view folk have become much more conscious around what they use, which is no bad thing. I dont mean about the climate, I mean about rhe habitual switching on of the heating when its not needed, and yes I mean by the females in the dwelling
Octopus are pretty good at showing you your forecast projected spend month by month, your monthly payments and the resultant balances. I use that to control my monthly payment which can be changed online. Their customer service is pretty good too (unless its about the installation of a smart meter).

Christ, we're currently paying 3.95p gas & 20.04p electric. The standing charges look like they'll be shooting up as well for us.

Tariff name
Tariff name
Tariff name
Easy Online 3 Year Fix Sep24​
Essentials Fixed 1Yr Aug25​
Essentials Fixed 2Yr Aug26​
Fixed term expires immediately prior to
01/10/24​
1st September 2025​
1st September 2026​
Payment method
Payment method
Payment method
Direct Debit (Fixed)​
Direct Debit (Fixed)​
Direct Debit (Fixed)​
Exit fee
Exit fee
£50.00​
£250.00​
Gas supply
Gas supply
Gas supply
Monthly estimate
Monthly estimate
£60.57 per month​
£63.04 per month​
Unit rate
Unit rate
Unit rate
3.95p per kWh​
5.39p per kWh​
5.66p per kWh​
Standing charge
Standing charge
Standing charge
26.11p per day​
31.65p per day​
31.65p per day​
Electricity supply
Electricity supply
Electricity supply
Monthly estimate
Monthly estimate
£84.23 per month​
£86.42 per month​
Unit rate
Unit rate
Unit rate
20.04p per kWh​
21.81p per kWh​
22.54p per kWh​
Standing charge
Standing charge
Standing charge
24.86p per day​
63.30p per day​
63.30p per day​
We're with EDF as well and that 1 year fix is marginally cheaper than what we're paying (22.59 & 5.40).

But after our past experience, I''m happier on standard variable and be free to change as and when and if I need to.

Christ, we're currently paying 3.95p gas & 20.04p electric. The standing charges look like they'll be shooting up as well for us.

Tariff name
Tariff name
Tariff name
Easy Online 3 Year Fix Sep24​
Essentials Fixed 1Yr Aug25​
Essentials Fixed 2Yr Aug26​
01/10/24​
1st September 2025​
1st September 2026​
Payment method
Payment method
Payment method
Direct Debit (Fixed)​
Direct Debit (Fixed)​
Direct Debit (Fixed)​
Exit fee
Exit fee
£50.00​
£250.00​
Gas supply
Gas supply
Gas supply
Monthly estimate
Monthly estimate
£60.57 per month​
£63.04 per month​
Unit rate
Unit rate
Unit rate
3.95p per kWh​
5.39p per kWh​
5.66p per kWh​
Standing charge
Standing charge
Standing charge
26.11p per day​
31.65p per day​
31.65p per day​
Electricity supply
Electricity supply
Electricity supply
Monthly estimate
Monthly estimate
£84.23 per month​
£86.42 per month​
Unit rate
Unit rate
Unit rate
20.04p per kWh​
21.81p per kWh​
22.54p per kWh​
Standing charge
Standing charge
Standing charge
24.86p per day​
63.30p per day​
63.30p per day​
Those standing charges are outrageous, they need to get a grip of them, also gas and electric should not be linked this will bring down prices.

Our fix with Octopus ends in a month or so and we're looking at options with Octopus (can't be arsed changing supplier).

No new fixed deal available so weighing up if we should go Agile or Tracker. I suspect Tracker as neither of us work anymore so are at home during the day/peak periods.

Anyone been on them both? How did they compare?
I’ve just looked and there is a fixed deal available to me, is it different for everyone, I think as prices are due to rise in October I’m going to fix, it cost nothing to come out of it anyway if it goes the other way.

I’ve just looked and there is a fixed deal available to me, is it different for everyone, I think as prices are due to rise in October I’m going to fix, it cost nothing to come out of it anyway if it goes the other way.
Cheers I'll get Mrs Moon to have a gander, it's her account.

yeah, their written processes are excellent. Pity they don't follow them (in the case of a faulty smart meter). To be fair to them it seems multiple organisations are involved and the technology is not up to working in old properties. They did end up giving me £100 because they couldn't fix it. They try and ate better than any of the others I have used but don't expect perfection.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.