Gas & Electricity

I’m still waiting for my agile to kick in, I think it takes a few weeks for it to become live. I saved 24p last week with one hour of free leccy last week did some washing, hopefully another 24p with this weeks feee hour. Wife just laughed but then I pointed out that was a 15% saving for the day, she just doesn’t know what we use. Looking at the agile I’d have said nearly 40% last week! I don’t know now though whether to fix or have a go with the agile, we are in the ideal situation as we at home all day anyway.

Only took 24 hours from install for me to get onto Agile, been cheap as chips this past few days.

In 12 days I have used 153KW at a cost of £31.90 on Agile vs £43.40 on Flexible. Even Tracker would be £39.47.

Your energy balance

£443.93​

You are paying £75.00 on the 1st of each month
From 04/09/2024, you'll be paying £90.00 on the 1st of each month

Reactions: jrb
Only took 24 hours from install for me to get onto Agile, been cheap as chips this past few days.

In 12 days I have used 153KW at a cost of £31.90 on Agile vs £43.40 on Flexible. Even Tracker would be £39.47.
Octopus switched us over today from our tracker, so we're making good use of the plunge pricing. They're paying us to use at the moment so every lights on in the house, ovens banging away at our shep-pie tea, washers on, the dryers on, all 3 tv's on, comp, kettles etc etc etc. At 13.30-1400 they will actually pay us tuppence a kwh!
ZGWlofh.jpg

Last edited:
Full day of negative pricing:

09SC1zL.jpg

dX5MV6H.jpg
Potentially a daft question, but do you have to be on a specific tariff to benefit from this?

We get the emails about the free periods, but not entirely sure whether that means we also get the above tariffs during normal periods, or whether we need to change onto this tariff.

If it helps, we aren't on a fixed deal, I think we are on 'flexible octopus'

Potentially a daft question, but do you have to be on a specific tariff to benefit from this?

We get the emails about the free periods, but not entirely sure whether that means we also get the above tariffs during normal periods, or whether we need to change onto this tariff.

If it helps, we aren't on a fixed deal, I think we are on 'flexible octopus'
Hi mate, yes you have to migrate to the Agile tariff and to do so you will need a smet2 smart meter so the Octopus can read at regular intervals. Agile Octopus is a beta smart tariff, helping bring cheap greener power, but is directly impacted by wholesale market volatility. Agile prices can spike up to a capped 100 p/kWh any time so best suited to customers who can shift large amounts of their energy use to avoid these expensive peaks.

You can access the half hour rates I listed above the day before, so you can plan energy consumption well in advance. As you can see most of today was operating on plunge pricing so that Octopus were effectively paying us for consumption. As evening approaches our prices increased and at the moment from 18:00 to 19:00 they will be just shy of 30p a kwh reducing back down after that.

We migrated over from the Tracker tariff that also follows wholesale prices, but on a daily basis rather than half hourly. This tariff is also designed for those who can shift energy usage out of expensive peak periods. You don't get plunge pricing on tracker and the price is viewable the day before for the whole 24 hours of your consumption. It has over the last year been much cheaper than a flexible or fixed rate.

I had a shower this afternoon and stayed in for half an hour with a gin and tonic and some prefab sprout music. It's a 9kw shower meaning it consumes 9kw in an hour of use. The price at the time was around minus three pence a kwh so it consumed 4.5kw of energy at - minus three pence which equates to minus 13.5 pence which octopus credit off our bill.
0bf5Cf0.gif

This morning, after her shower, the wife left the water running for 4 hours with the window open whilst I boiled kettles and did the washing and tumble drying. Maybe today was lucky, as I did not know they operated plunge pricing for so long during the day and an electric car would have really really come in handy.

You can swop over to tracker or their Agile and if it doesn't suit they have a guarantee for you to leave without penalty, so effectively a no risk trial.

The gas price on Agile will be the gas price applied to the tracker rate.

Re the free energy periods you mentioned. That is related to the non smart tarrifs were if you sign up they will give you a small period of free power when the grids full. The free energy they give you will be the energy you use above and beyond what your normal usage is for that period.

Last edited:
Hi mate, yes you have to migrate to the Agile tarrif and to do so you will need a smart meter smet2 so the Octopus can read your meter at regular intervals. Agile Octopus is a beta smart tariff, helping bring cheap greener power, but is directly impacted by wholesale market volatility. Agile prices can spike up to 100 p/kWh any time so best suited to customers who can shift large amounts of their energy use to avoid these expensive peaks.

You can access the half hour rates I listed above the day before, so you can plan energy consumption well in advance. As you can see most of today was operating on plunge pricing so that Octopus were effectively paying us for consumption. As evening approaches our prices increased and at the moment from 18:00 to 19:00 they will be just shy of 30p a kwh reducing back down after that.

We migrated over from the Tracker tarrif that also follows wholesale energy prices but on a daily basis rather than half hourly. This tariff is also designed for customers who can shift energy usage out of expensive peak periods providing transparent pricing. You don't get plunge pricing on tracker and the price is viewable the day before for the whole 24 hours of your consumption. It has over the last year been much cheaper than a flexible or fixed rate.

For example I had a shower this afternoon and stayed in for half an hour with a gin and tonic and some prefab sprout music. It's a 9kw shower meaning it consumes 9kw in an hour of use. The price at the time was around minus three pence a kwh so it consumed 4.5kw of energy at - minus threpence which equates to minus 13.5 pence which octopus credit off our bill.
0bf5Cf0.gif

This morning after her shower, the wife just left it running for 4 hours with the window open whilst I boiled kettles and did the washing and drying. Maybe today was just lucky as I did not know they operated plunge pricing for so long during the day and an electric car would have really really come in handy.

You can swop over to tracker or their Agile and if it doesn't suit they have a guarantee for you to leave without penalty, so effectively a no risk trial.

The gas price on Agile will be the gas price applied to the tracker rate.

Re the free energy periods you mentioned. That is related to the non smart tarrifs were if you sign up they will give you a small period of free power when the grids full. The free energy they give you will be the energy you use above and beyond what your normal usage is for that period.

How do you keep on moving from Agile to Tracker and back again in such a short period of time? I always thought you had to be on one or the other. If you wanted to change tariff you had to get in touch with Octopus Energy to do that for you, or can you do that for yourself?

I’ve currently moved to a fixed tariff with Octopus due to the predicted energy price rises in October.

I’m interested in Agile and Tracker, but I wouldn’t know how to get the best out of either tariff.

As a single person, and with a combined gas and electricity bill around £50 a month including the standing charge, would it be worth having an Agile or Travker tariff compared to a Fixed tariff?

Thanks.

How do you keep on moving from Agile to Tracker and back again in such a short period of time? I always thought you had to be on one or the other. If you wanted to change tariff you had to get in touch with Octopus Energy to do that for you, or can you do that for yourself?

I’ve currently moved to a fixed tariff with Octopus due to the predicted energy price rises in October.

I’m interested in Agile and Tracker, but I wouldn’t know how to get the best out of either tariff.

As a single person, and with a combined gas and electricity bill around £50 a month including the standing charge, would it be worth having an Agile or Travker tariff compared to a Fixed tariff?

Thanks.
We didn't keep moving, we only moved from flexible to Tracker, and after in depth analysis and information gleaned off here, decided to move to Agile as it better suited our needs.

We are aware of the half hour tariffs imposed for each new day and when they peak and ebb. For tomorrow the peak times extend through 1600 to 1900 and so we happily shift usage to calmer moments. Today the peak was between 1800 and 1900.

I wouldn't be able to comment on your own suitability mate as we are all different in our needs and wants, but your usage doesn't seem to cry out as demanding. I think if you have the flexibility to manage your demand and shift usage to avoid the heavier peaks, then a saving is a saving.

I'm not averse to risk but can take heart that if Agile gets unmanageable for us in the future months we have the option of moving on to another tariff without penalty.

Last edited:
Reactions: jrb
I’ve gone onto the octopus agile tariff apparently since 28 Aug how do I get the daily rates?
Log in to your account and then scroll down to the bottom of page where is says Agile Octopus Rates. On the graph you will see the Today and Tommorow bar. Click today then underneath the graph clik on show half hour rates. Tommorows rates wont show until around 1600 onwards.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.