Gas & Electricity

Fuck all that. Is that what smart meters give you? Graphs like that. Im getting nagged to death to have one put in. Do not want one and do not see the point

Fuck all that. Is that what smart meters give you? Graphs like that. Im getting nagged to death to have one put in. Do not want one and do not see the point

No, they give you much more information than that.

Get one for Electric and gas!

You won’t regret it. And they are free.

We just changed tariff. Was just on the standard "Deemed" with EDF. We got put back to them after our previous one went bust etc. It was 24.9 kwh flat rate.

We recently bought an EV (car) so was going to swap to Octopus.
I liked their 7.5p kwh 0030-0530, but on getting a quote was quoted 9.2p kwh off peak and 31p kwh, which was way higher than i was on with EDF. You also need a compatible (ohme) smart wall charger.
Thought it still worth doing for the cheaper EV charging.
What we have found is EV charging is one or twice week, and takes around 3-4 hours. So it isn't the big gussler we thought it would be.
Then we found Octopus doesn't like our smets1 smart meter. So it was a non starter.

However, i checked what EDF offered, and found a EV tariff that suited us better. (EVolve Sep25v2)
00.00-05.00 is 12.9p kwh. Peak is 22.59 kwh (your quote may be cheaper). Not as cheap as Octopus off peak, but way cheaper peak hours.
The off peak is for ALL usage, so charging/washing machine/dishwasher all on!
No smart charger, but you do need to have an EV.

The weird thing is our summer bills are higher than winter.
Not bragging but we have a small 8kwh (airsource) heated outside pool, and indoor aircon.
They both get the benefit of the cheaper off peak, and definitely benefit more during the day than Octopus peak rate etc.

We made one simple change of delaying the dishwasher/washing machine/dryer/EV to 00.00 the saving have been huge. Well about half the kwh etc.
No checking apps, stressing and altering our lives to fit tariffs either. The above were all set in their apps once, and just get on with it. We did check peak kwh use to make sure weren't overloading the main fuses etc.

Only an idiot puts washing machines and especially tumble dryers on when they are in bed.
Ask the fire brigade.

Only an idiot puts washing machines and especially tumble dryers on when they are in bed.
Ask the fire brigade.
Why, ours is in a remote laundry room not connected to the main house.
Second we have fire detectors and smoke alarms.
Third, any product can set fire during the night. So only an idiot would go to bed leaving the electric/gas on!

(i'm assuming this is an over reaction to the fires from a certain brand a few years ago?)

No, it’s advice from every fire service in the U.K.
It’s true it is advised anything that can produce that amount if heat is obviously a hazard, much of it was tumble dryers were people don’t clean the lint out etc that clogs the system there is nowhere for the heat to go and boom up they go. There’s a risk with anything like that tbh but in this day and age with smoke alarms etc it’s nowhere near as bad as it used to be. I’d definitely not do it with a dryer a washing machine aren’t that bad but if you put on at midnight it will be drying inside for hours before you get it out! I’m going on agile if it can be done around 4/5 am that would be ideal and I’d set a timer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.