General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 167 59.9%
  • Conservative

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 24 8.6%
  • Reform

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • Green Party

Votes: 16 5.7%
  • Other

Votes: 29 10.4%

• Total voters
The vast majority of the population will be paying higher taxes full stop, whoever wins, because there is a massive and as yet unexplained black hole in the government finances that neither Conservatives nor Labour have even attempted to fill.

Either than or public services will be cut to even more unsustainable levels, which neither party is admitting to, or borrowing will increase significantly, which again neither party is admitting to.

If you think it's only Labour's figures on tax that don't add up, you might want to try taking your head out of your arse.
I'm not disputing the fact that taxes will rise after the election, regardless of who is in power. For the record, every fiscal statement since November 2001 (bar November 2017, when it was seen as flat) has forecast a rising tax burden. My comment related to the tax rises planned by Labour in addition to those outlined in the March Budget, something which clearly went over your head.

The tax rises Labour are currently admitting to - essentially a rounding error in the context of fiscal projections - are obviously insufficient to fund the targeted improvement in public sector services, and that's before the fiscal black hole around unprotected departmental budgets you refer to is considered. And although the issue around
unprotected departmental budgets will remain regardless of which party forms the next government, it is undoubtedly a bigger issue for Labour than it is for the Conservatives, given that only Labour have committed to avoiding cuts here.

So, given that Labour have committed to avoiding falling departmental spending as per Starmer's comments last night - which will require around an extra c.£30bn in current expenditure by 2028-29 - and that Starmer is only willing to acknowledge small tax increases in private school VAT, and slightly different non-dom and windfall schemes, do you think Labour's tax figures add up? I think even somebody with their head up their arse can see that they don't.

I'm not disputing the fact that taxes will rise after the election, regardless of who is in power. For the record, every fiscal statement since November 2001 (bar November 2017, when it was seen as flat) has forecast a rising tax burden. My comment related to the tax rises planned by Labour in addition to those outlined in the March Budget, something which clearly went over your head.

The tax rises Labour are currently admitting to - essentially a rounding error in the context of fiscal projections - are obviously insufficient to fund the targeted improvement in public sector services, and that's before the fiscal black hole around unprotected departmental budgets you refer to is considered. And although the issue around
unprotected departmental budgets will remain regardless of which party forms the next government, it is undoubtedly a bigger issue for Labour than it is for the Conservatives, given that only Labour have committed to avoiding cuts here.

So, given that Labour have committed to avoiding falling departmental spending as per Starmer's comments last night - which will require around an extra c.£30bn in current expenditure by 2028-29 - and that Starmer is only willing to acknowledge small tax increases in private school VAT, and slightly different non-dom and windfall schemes, do you think Labour's tax figures add up? I think even somebody with their head up their arse can see that they don't.
Reading not your strong point, then?

Is the right answer - the best attack mode

Haven’t Labour watched the Press Preview on Sky? One of the biggest talking points is the ‘lies’ from last night yet the Sky News panel have not mentioned that but inferred that the Tories were closer to the truth.

They’ve even got a New Statesman influencer who somehow forgot to mention her own papers estimate of £3000.00 tax hikes if it was the Tories policies that won the election.

Easy to see where the editorial is there, try to keep the Tories in it so the stories keep coming.

Pitiful.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.