General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 266 56.8%
  • Conservative

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 40 8.5%
  • Reform

Votes: 71 15.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 28 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 10.9%

• Total voters
Beth was awful , spent the starmer time interupting and panicing on time , spent six mins on corbyn, we want to know what he would do after this election now he is in charge ffs, stank of an agenda to me , she didnt treat sunak the same and let him do a full monalogue on immigration with no interuption

Eliminating age bands and increasing minimum wage was one I wasn’t expecting.

Gradually re-acquiring and nationalising railway contracts, a nationalised energy solution, reform of planning laws for housing, binning hereditary peers from House of Lords, bin Rwanda, restricting second jobs for MPs and increased scrutiny on post-MP roles.

There’s some good stuff in there for sure. It’s all understandably very measured but I don’t really know what more can reasonably be expected in this Parliament. If there were a way, I would want the two child benefit cap gone and I’d want them to be more ambitious with infrastructure investment… but I understand why they want the foundations in place with better planning and implementation before promising those things. There’s more than one way to skin a cat.

I think even if you don’t like Starmer (and I reserve judgement on him), if they deliver what’s in this manifesto people will be very happy.

Yeah, a solid opening. Straight bat and no nonsense.

Eliminating age bands and increasing minimum wage was one I wasn’t expecting.

Gradually re-acquiring and nationalising railway contracts, a nationalised energy solution, reform of planning laws for housing, binning hereditary peers from House of Lords, bin Rwanda, restricting second jobs for MPs and increased scrutiny on post-MP roles.

There’s some good stuff in there for sure. It’s all understandably very measured but I don’t really know what more can reasonably be expected in this Parliament. If there were a way, I would want the two child benefit cap gone and I’d want them to be more ambitious with infrastructure investment… but I understand why they want the foundations in place with better planning and implementation before promising those things. There’s more than one way to skin a cat.

I think even if you don’t like Starmer (and I reserve judgement on him), if they deliver what’s in this manifesto people will be very happy.
Yep, sensible enough overall. He can't go promising the earth because of the state of the country at the moment but if he gets even half of that little lot over the line in the next few years, it'll be a decent start IMO.

I think he'll need 2 terms to implement everything.

Grant Shapps can suck a fat one.

Listening to him on Times Radio and the idiot had the gall to say “countries don’t function when the government has a majority the size of Tony Blair’s”

Will have to check my notes but I’m pretty sure this country did alright for itself in those years!

Think you’ve nailed it with the last sentence. Party members of any party are nothing like representative of the population in general, and it needs a dispassionate view to make the judgement of who is most likely to appeal to the largest number of the population, and that won’t come from party members.
The alternative is a more left wing agenda, but even with a massive majority in seats Starmer won't get 50% of the popular vote. So more lefty policies wouid mean another "minority" government with a less robust mandate. I really have no idea now what a Starmer government will look like, but apart from just not being nasty and/or shit and showing all parties are not the same, they can use the levers of power to set an agenda, capitalise on the demographics (links to EU, build houses, less xenophobia) and maybe shift that Overton window back left. And secure for workers by hand and brain the fruits of their labour...

Protestor gets in and is treated
the same way as other lefties in the party and promptly booted out.
Or what, give them a platform on national TV (without knowing what they were protesting about)? It's the equivalent of someone chaining themselves to a goalpost mid-game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.