General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 266 56.8%
  • Conservative

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 40 8.5%
  • Reform

Votes: 71 15.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 28 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 10.9%

• Total voters
Guess I’m an idiot then
I just don’t get the hate, I understand he’s not left enough for some, not even for me but if he’s too left he’ll never get elected as Corbyn proved, we need a centralist party to bring us back from the right wing shit show we’ve had for the past 14 years, once we’ve got middle ground again then we could look at more left wing policies.

I just don’t get the hate, I understand he’s not left enough for some, not even for me but if he’s too left he’ll never get elected as Corbyn proved, we need a centralist party to bring us back from the right wing shit show we’ve had for the past 14 years, once we’ve got middle ground again then we could look at more left wing policies.

I think it's partly a reaction to how Corbyn was treated. You see the Peter Mandleson quote a lot about working every day to stop to Corbyn - but then it's used as justification to do the same with Starmer. That's something I find frustrating as I campaigned for Corbyn positively (even when I was being abused on the street, which happened on multiple occasions), and is more than a little hypocritical.

I think a lot of the social media "influencers" who got a higher profile under Corbyn (as with the Agitator on the previous page), are people who perhaps joined Labour only under Corbyn, so would have long been on the outside. The difference is that with social media, they've taken a lot of people with them, and so you have a much bigger group of disillusioned people.

The final nail is probably the leadership election. The party membership was still very pro-Corbyn, and anyone who wanted to be elected leader, had to be careful about that. He's obviously since ditched a lot of policies, although the fact that he became leader just one month before Covid, and prior to Truss and Ukraine, is clearly the reason for much of the financial scaling back. I can understand the anger over some of the other things he said, but much of that is the sad reality of politics. I'd suggest that as Labour members (and I'm one), we look at Tory members, and ask if we're really the best people to choose a candidate that is going to appeal to a broad enough coalition of people, to actually get elected.

I think it's partly a reaction to how Corbyn was treated. You see the Peter Mandleson quote a lot about working every day to stop to Corbyn - but then it's used as justification to do the same with Starmer. That's something I find frustrating as I campaigned for Corbyn positively (even when I was being abused on the street, which happened on multiple occasions), and is more than a little hypocritical.

I think a lot of the social media "influencers" who got a higher profile under Corbyn (as with the Agitator on the previous page), are people who perhaps joined Labour only under Corbyn, so would have long been on the outside. The difference is that with social media, they've taken a lot of people with them, and so you have a much bigger group of disillusioned people.

The final nail is probably the leadership election. The party membership was still very pro-Corbyn, and anyone who wanted to be elected leader, had to be careful about that. He's obviously since ditched a lot of policies, although the fact that he became leader just one month before Covid, and prior to Truss and Ukraine, is clearly the reason for much of the financial scaling back. I can understand the anger over some of the other things he said, but much of that is the sad reality of politics. I'd suggest that as Labour members (and I'm one), we look at Tory members, and ask if we're really the best people to choose a candidate that is going to appeal to a broad enough coalition of people, to actually get elected.
Think you’ve nailed it with the last sentence. Party members of any party are nothing like representative of the population in general, and it needs a dispassionate view to make the judgement of who is most likely to appeal to the largest number of the population, and that won’t come from party members.

Beth Rigby was so impressive on the Sky debate last night - asked questions, let the victims answer then it was like a professional Abatoir operator with bolts to the head and Sunak and Starmar then they were skined and sliced into cuts of meat.
Neither had answers.

Non of the above.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.