General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 140 61.7%
  • Conservative

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 23 10.1%
  • Reform

Votes: 27 11.9%
  • Green Party

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 22 9.7%

• Total voters
Tories crying about not letting labour get a super majority and still going heavy on taxing everything that moves under labour , dont recall them crying over their eighty seat majority and taxing , well everything . Cant wait to see the back of the snivelling cunts
There is basically fuck all difference between an 80 seat and a 200 seat majority.

Poverty breeds violence and crime.
Read about the 19th-century 'scuttling' gangs in the shitty parts of Manchester.
Of course, it doesn't help that the criminal justice system is on life support. Due to - guess what? - Tory cuts. See also the Youth Service, Surestart, you name it.
Treat people like shite - 'welfare' cuts, poor NHS, poor schools, poor practically everything - and they will react in ways you don't like. What's more, the Church, which used to help with social control big time, is virtually out of business.
Oh, and lionising greed and acquisitiveness hasn't helped either. You see you're 'nothing' unless you have a big car, a big house, massive salary. All the stuff these kids can't hope to get legally.
Poverty certainly does breed crime, violence however I’m not so sure about the link. Studies in the US showed that in the early 1930 violent crime rates actually fell during the depression, likewise during the financial crash of the late 2000s. The perpetuation of the it’s tough on the streets, kiddie gangster shit you see on social media has had a serious impact on behaviour, even amongst those from non disadvantaged backgrounds.

Therefore the link to violence I feel is a little tenuous. I do however think that the cuts to youth services and mental health have had a significant impact in identifying kids with difficulties and finding them the help they need before they get out of control.

Don’t you think that some sort of “citizenship” course or national service, call it what you like, would be a good idea in this country?

There are lots of young people with zero respect for themselves let alone others and this just might be the best thing that anybody has suggested.. IIRC I worked with some German colleagues in the recent past who did some sort of National Service and they were all for it..

It doesn’t even need to be arms bearing, that could be optional.. the service element is the key thing, learning about respect and giving something to society.. they could use the manpower to help with community projects while giving those who take part some vital life skills…

There are far more pressing things we need to spend our money on than any of that

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.