General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 140 61.7%
  • Conservative

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 23 10.1%
  • Reform

Votes: 27 11.9%
  • Green Party

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 22 9.7%

• Total voters
"Supermajority".

Another Conservative buzzword that means precisely nothing.

Supermajority has a pretty well defined meaning - it’s just that in British government nothing requires one.

I think the problem for the conservatives is that for every person they scare with the idea of a Labour supermajority they get 3 people excited about actually wiping the Tories out…

Grant Shapps is no politician, he’s a used car salesman trying to sell the last car on the lot. A clapped out old MG with a rusted out floor, big-end gone on the engine and mouldy interior. And some people will still fancy having a pop.

Supermajority has a pretty well defined meaning - it’s just that in British government nothing requires one.

I think the problem for the conservatives is that for every person they scare with the idea of a Labour supermajority they get 3 people excited about actually wiping the Tories out…
Yes, so it means nothing in the context of our politics.

Maybe the Tories should have done a better job rather than cry about who’s voting for all the other parties. If they get the smashing that is predicted in this election this will be some fall from grace. I remember John McDonell being on the BBC news when the exit pole came out predicting a heavy loss for Labour in December 2019. Think it was Huw Edwards that outlined to him that the size of this loss for Labour they had already lost the 2024 election as well. What a collapse if it does happen.

Maybe the Tories should have done a better job rather than cry about who’s voting for all the other parties. If they get the smashing that is predicted in this election this will be some fall from grace. I remember John McDonell being on the BBC news when the exit pole came out predicting a heavy loss for Labour in December 2019. Think it was Hue Edwards that outlined to him that the size of this loss for Labour they had already lost the 2024 election as well. What a collapse if it does happen.
Huw Edwards has fallen almost as far as the Tories since 2019.

Yes, so it means nothing in the context of our politics.

Ironically, it meant something up until two years ago when the Fixed-term Parliaments Act was repealed by the Tories. That act required a supermajority to trigger an election outside of the established time table.

So the one power a Labour supermajority might have had was catching the opposition off-foot by calling an election when they weren’t prepared. But the Tories gifted them the unilateral power to do that anyway by repealing the act.

Go figure.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.