General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 266 56.8%
  • Conservative

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 40 8.5%
  • Reform

Votes: 71 15.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 28 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 10.9%

• Total voters
The irony is that the Brexit vote was proposed in large part to stop the Conservative Party tearing itself apart. Look at what’s happening 9 years after that pledge in the 2015 manifesto!
Yes, it was supposed to lance the boil. I wonder if it would have worked if the vote had gone the other way. Almost certainly not.

The old feral kids line, there have always been some badly behaved kids, guess what there always will be.
Now I’m not an advocate of this national service rubbish but whilst there have always been badly behaved children, the evidence points to behaviour in general getting worse in terms of the level of violence involved and the number of children having challenging behaviour. Social media has normalised behaviours which were only seen in rare cases in the past. Kids copying the actions of others.

This however isn’t unique to the UK but also across most of the developed world. A quick search across the internet and you see articles from teachers not just in the UK, but also Australia, New Zealand, France and unsurprisingly the USA etc all saying the same thing.

Poverty breeds violence and crime.
Read about the 19th-century 'scuttling' gangs in the shitty parts of Manchester.
Of course, it doesn't help that the criminal justice system is on life support. Due to - guess what? - Tory cuts. See also the Youth Service, Surestart, you name it.
Treat people like shite - 'welfare' cuts, poor NHS, poor schools, poor practically everything - and they will react in ways you don't like. What's more, the Church, which used to help with social control big time, is virtually out of business.
Oh, and lionising greed and acquisitiveness hasn't helped either. You see you're 'nothing' unless you have a big car, a big house, massive salary. All the stuff these kids can't hope to get legally.

No easy answer the country is a fucking mess.

Sort out the roads/transport so people can actually move about in a reasonable time frame, get the NHS going the right way and pump some cash into law & order....it might cost a bit extra in tax but, if we can see some shoots of green it might be a start and worth it.

Honestly, it’s a very underrated way to vote. If everybody voted for the person they felt was competent, capable and represented their local interests then we would be in a much better state.

The problem we have is how many MPs occupy safe seats because people vote down party lines regardless of who the candidate is. Therefore many of them can do and say effectively whatever they want.

When in doubt, actually speak to your representatives.
If you can ever get hold of them or even know who is standing unless you can check online!
I haven’t had a single leaflet or notification as to who is standing. I went online to find out and then on to the websites. Some of the websites are ‘active’ some not.
If it weren’t for the fact that I would never not vote I’d give up this time. Complacency is the killer in my constituency unfortunately.

If you can ever get hold of them or even know who is standing unless you can check online!
I haven’t had a single leaflet or notification as to who is standing. I went online to find out and then on to the websites. Some of the websites are ‘active’ some not.
If it weren’t for the fact that I would never not vote I’d give up this time. Complacency is the killer in my constituency unfortunately.

Yes I feel that, and given the lopsided polling, I imagine some of the traditionally not-so-safe seats are looking more like safe seats so may see less action.

I’ve had one candidate knock on my door. Labour. Given I’m in deep deep Tory land, I think that says a lot about the seats they’re focused on.

Unfortunately I was out when he came by, I caught him on the doorbell camera.

Priti Patel has put a few signs up and dropped a leaflet through my door - no Conservative Party logos on anything. Nearly all of her signs have been vandalised with Hitler moustaches.

The old feral kids line, there have always been some badly behaved kids, guess what there always will be.
It's definitely got worse in the last 15 years.

No coincidence that over that period social services, education, youth services and support for struggling parents has been decimated, as has neighbourhood policing.

The babies of poor and vulnerable parents who had things like Sure Start centres taken off them are now teenagers.

Yes I feel that, and given the lopsided polling, I imagine some of the traditionally not-so-safe seats are looking more like safe seats so may see less action.

I’ve had one candidate knock on my door. Labour. Given I’m in deep deep Tory land, I think that says a lot about the seats they’re focused on.

Unfortunately I was out when he came by, I caught him on the doorbell camera.

Priti Patel has put a few signs up and dropped a leaflet through my door - no Conservative Party logos on anything. Nearly all of her signs have been vandalised with Hitler moustaches.
I've just been out and realised that the house on the main road which always, even for Local Elections, has a Labour Flagpole in the garden and posters in all upstairs and downstairs windows hasn't got any up at all this time. As I say complacency.

It's definitely got worse in the last 15 years.

No coincidence that over that period social services, education, youth services and support for struggling parents has been decimated, as has neighbourhood policing.

The babies of poor and vulnerable parents who had things like Sure Start centres taken off them are now teenagers.
I'm sure it has and I'm sure there's a correllation to the economy and social care / spending. While the line may fluctuate it's always been there at some level and always will be.Oliver Twist was as much a social commentry of the times as it was a period novel.

Good grief. We dismissed the national service idea as an unworkable expensive gimmick two weeks ago, and it's thrown the thread again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.