General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 161 60.3%
  • Conservative

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 23 8.6%
  • Reform

Votes: 34 12.7%
  • Green Party

Votes: 16 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 26 9.7%

• Total voters
Anyone who does not think after 6 months in office Labour will come out with things are far worse than we thought and there will be significant tax rises is living in cloud cuckoo land!
If you close your eyes and wish really hard that might happen. Wish for some unicormns and fairies while you’re at it.

Maybe we do need to pay more tax.

I'll tell you what, if you seriously want immigration cut then you will, as the cost of training the necessary extra people to be doctors, nurses, dentists, etc, will be a lot more than 50p. We are short of labour, and while it's tempting to think we can employ the unemployable for some jobs, in reality there are numerous practical issues. Like getting folk off drugs and hypnotising them so they are willing to get out of bed for minimum wage, as opposed to earning thousands by dealing.

The first step is compulsory ID cards for all so we can work out who is here by right and who isn't. But that will not be cheap to implement or enforce, and I can already hear libertarians whining about how unfair it would be.

I'm up for any policy the majority want as long as they understand the costs and are willing to pay up without moaning.

The state pension age probably needs to go up to 70 too. Maybe 75. That's if people really want to cut immigration.

Despite your rather rude tone i will give you my opinion. We need to move away from immigration as the ponzi scheme as the only way to grow our economy. People are not having kids as young largely as they cant buy a house before age 30. This is principally down to a supply and demand imbalance. The cost of housing is the reason most poeple are struggling. I see it at work - kids on 40k with £300k mortgages with their partner really struggling to get by.
The number of houses have risen faster than the population has increased in the 14 years the Tories have been in power. If it's just supply and demand, then house prices should have, at the very least, remained the same (adjusting for inflation, if you'd like).

Of course it is supply and demand, it's just that it's not the immigrants that are causing that increased demand. Watch Homes Under the Hammer every day to see why young couples are really finding it so hard to buy. When was the last time you saw someone on that programme buy a house to actually live in?

Another factor is that more people nowadays live as singletons than was the case in the 1950s. You can't do a right lot about that as the government can't make marriage compulsory and ban divorce. Social change. There is no easy answer, though I get that people want there to be.

The number of houses have risen faster than the population has increased in the 14 years the Tories have been in power. If it's just supply and demand, then house prices should have, at the very least, remained the same (adjusting for inflation, if you'd like).

Of course it is supply and demand, it's just that it's not the immigrants that are causing that increased demand. Watch Homes Under the Hammer every day to see why young couples are really finding it so hard to buy. When was the last time you saw someone on that programme buy a house to actually live in?

I just checked your first line - unless i am mistaken - UK population has grown 5.2 million last 14 years. Number of homes built 2.1 million. Factor in the increased number of single person households in that period and you can see why we have a problem. We started the baseline we are discussing with a housing shortfall and we are exacerbating it. I am seeing 1 bed apartments for rent in Town at £1700 - yes £1700! That tells you the issue.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.