General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 165 60.2%
  • Conservative

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 24 8.8%
  • Reform

Votes: 35 12.8%
  • Green Party

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Other

Votes: 27 9.9%

• Total voters
Inflation was actually low during most of the pandemic. It only started to rise significantly once the world opened back up and much of it was as a result of rising energy prices which were also reasonable during the pandemic. It was worse in the UK than many other countries partly due to supply shortages as a result of Brexit.

Net migration is unlikely to come down straight away under Labour but the notion that the Tories are the party of low immigration, low net migration, low taxes, and economic competence has been completely and utterly destroyed over the past 5 years.

And why you can’t accept that mortgage interest rates rocketed as a direct result of Truss and Kwarteng’s utterly reckless budget is fucking beyond me!

Inflation in Germany higher than ours so that mutes point one. Point two is waffle and deflection. Point 3 simply not true! Direct result. The Bank of England are using interest rates to control inflation!

You are so wrong I am out.

I respect that the election campaign is part of the democratic process but 6 weeks is way too long.

Has anyone changed their mind about who they are voting for in the last week?
Yes. I was going to vote Labour until I was shown the light last night that it would be an act of surrender.

He would be able to resign from Downing Street.

In theory, the King can make anyone PM. But in practice, he would have to resign as he would not have the confidence of the Commons. He is still PM though until he resigns. Indeed, at this very moment, he is PM but not an MP as no one is, strictly speaking.
I did consider this and arrived at the same conclusion. What a fucking abortion our constitution is.

I did consider this and arrived at the same conclusion. What a fucking abortion our constitution is.
Most modern, advanced countries have a written, codified constitution.

Ours is largely a matter of convention, but can easily be changed by statute based on a majority of one. The perils associated with this state of affairs should be obvious, but the political class seems quite at ease with it.

So do most voters - until the day something happens they don't agree with. This country is wide open to a takeover by extremists, even dictatorship because most people (incredibly) still believe 'It couldn't happen here.'

Among rights taken away in recent years is 'double jeopardy' - which means you can be tried for an offence for which you have already been found 'not guilty'. The right to protest is also under threat - with quite draconian penalties available. Someone like Putin in charge of the UK would not need to modify very much.

Most modern, advanced countries have a written, codified constitution.

Ours is largely a matter of convention, but can easily be changed by statute based on a majority of one. The perils associated with this state of affairs should be obvious, but the political class seems quite at ease with it.

So do most voters - until the day something happens they don't agree with. This country is wide open to a takeover by extremists, even dictatorship because most people (incredibly) still believe 'It couldn't happen here.'

Among rights taken away in recent years is 'double jeopardy' - which means you can be tried for an offence for which you have already been found 'not guilty'. The right to protest is also under threat - with quite draconian penalties available. Someone like Putin in charge of the UK would not need to modify very much.
I think the removal of the double jeopardy principle, on balance, was correct, especially given the safeguards that were built in. Justice should always be a search for fairness in a way that is codified. If new evidence comes to the fore that is compelling in relation to a serious offence then surely it’s correct that a jury gets to determine that?

But more widely I agree that we need to be vigilant around rights we might take for granted.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.