General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 258 58.2%
  • Conservative

Votes: 12 2.7%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 36 8.1%
  • Reform

Votes: 67 15.1%
  • Green Party

Votes: 22 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 48 10.8%

• Total voters
These Conservative ads are getting a bit silly now.

35c5b488becb68fdef227d15d6c8fbca.jpg

Absolute fucking bellend right to the very death

I am becoming quite a fan of Sophy Ridge deconstructing them one by one.

“Well when you actually say the policy out loud like that, it does sound a bit fucking stupid doesn’t it?”

More broadcasters should be saying the policy out loud like that. Because it’s a nonsense no sane person would agree with.

Most of the welfare state is state pensions.
Another massive chunk goes to working people to subsidise inadequate wages and excessive rents. (I'm quite up for not subsidising bad employers and greedy landlords, but are the Tories?)
Another chunk goes on disability benefits, including those paid to disabled people in work. (You can claim PIP and work if you qualify, and as it is (rightly) not means-tested you could be the MD of a FTSE 100 company in theory.)
What people go on about is the money given to long-term unemployed, and that is petty cash in the scheme of things. If it was stopped tomorrow, I doubt you'd get 10p off your tax. But you would get a whole lot of extra crime in exchange.

(EDIT) Forgot to point out that the 'economically inactive' includes full-time students and all those people over 55 who have retired on private pensions, and don't need to work anymore as they have enough to carry them through to state pension age and beyond. These people aren't going to work unless you seize their assets.
When you say "seize their assets" do you mean steal my investments, pension, shares, the things I have worked hard for my whole working life..?

When you say "seize their assets" do you mean steal my investments, pension, shares, the things I have worked hard for my whole working life..?
Why should they seize your assets, it’s just a part of Tory ‘Pj Fear’.

Personally, your assets should be yours and if that happened, and I have supported Labour for the last few years, then I’d be questioning my own vote. But I have no questions on this and the answer lies within the current tax system.

In my early 50s, i already have a decent pension that I can take now and will pay taxes on the majority of it. Do I worry that Labour will take more than what the Tories would take, not at all.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.