General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 87 63.0%
  • Conservative

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • Reform

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • Green Party

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • Other

Votes: 10 7.2%

• Total voters
Well nobody has had a chance to publish a manifesto yet, so you could say the same about the Conservatives.

I will be doing what I do every election which is reading through them all and choosing the one that most aligns with my perspectives and whether I think it’s realistic that that party could deliver on it. Everything else is just PR.

I’ve been trying to flip the question on its head and ask “what do I want in a government?” As in, what could they propose that would win my vote? I think these are the main policies that would really go a long way to persuading me:

1. Proportional representation / voting reform - easy win if somebody goes for it. One of the main reasons I have voted Lib Dem.
2. Complete restructure of the tax code, particularly the structure of income tax. Literally put it in the bin and start again.
3. Building houses - but I don’t want them to just say they’re going to build them, I want them to tell me how they will do it that will make it succeed where the government has massively failed.
4. Public health - increase spending per capita on public health to align it to leading European nations spending (we are currently at about two thirds the spend per person of Germany, for example). Implement sweeping technology reform, a big issue in the NHS is inconsistency and fragmentation in their systems. Every government entity that needs to scale with the population should be constantly investing in improving scalability. There’s honestly a whole re-think needed when it comes to health systems/processes at quite a fundamental level. I don’t know how to solve it, I’m not an expert.
5. Some kind of plan for addressing misinformation in politics, media and particularly social media. Again I’m open to ideas on that because I don’t know how to address it, I just know it’s a big big problem.
SkyBlueFlux for PM! ;-)

The last time it happened it did not turn out so great
Cameron won't be in charge of it this time. Besides, even though they could have done a lot more, the Lib Dems did water-down some of the most brutal policies of the Tories at that time.

You can see that in the contrast with when they lost their smidge of power. I'd like to hope they've learnt something from those negotiations that took place too, they really did get walked all over.

Cameron won't be in charge of it this time. Besides, even though they could have done a lot more, the Lib Dems did water-down some of the most brutal policies of the Tories at that time.

You can see that in the contrast with when they lost their smidge of power. I'd like to hope they've learnt something from those negotiations that took place too, they really did get walked all over.

The Lib Dems can get fucked.

EAlQHvhWkAYmHMP.jpg:large

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.