General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 266 56.8%
  • Conservative

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 40 8.5%
  • Reform

Votes: 71 15.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 28 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 10.9%

• Total voters
Millions are voting for them and they could grow a fair bit more.

Being realistic, a lot of the labour votes were just a vote against the tories because it was a shitshow. If Labour don't show clear improvement from the tories, then I wouldn't be too surprised to see another rise in support for Reform.

I know plenty of people who voted Reform, people who I'd never imagine would be voting for a party spearheaded by Farage. And we're not just talking "gammons" as some like to say, I know a pretty diverse mix of people that voted them.

I voted Labour personally, not with a great deal of confidence though, and i think that's the case for many.

I can assure you that a Reform government (which would never happen) would be even worse than the Tories.

right thread this time...

10 pm Exit Poll to current (9 to declare):
Labour - spot on
Conservative - actual down 12
LibDems - actual up 10
SNP - actual up 2
Greens - actual up 2
Reform - actual down 9
Pretty accurate then. The only slightly notable discrepancy was the 10-12 given to the Tories that ended up with the Lib Dems.
It was much closer than the BBC prediction in the middle of the night after quite a few results had come in that gave the Tories around 160.

Reform UK 4,051,969 Total Votes 4 MPs up to yet

Liberal Democrat’s 3,451,969 Total Votes and 70 MPs

Is this democracy?
If you lost, No. If you won, Yes.

The country was asked if we wanted a form of proportional representation to replace the current system and it said "no, thanks", so if people still feel so strongly they have to get out, vote and look to recruit like-minded individuals so they can win with the system we have.

Personally, I wouldn't want PR as it gives people like Reform a bigger voice, and if you think about it, why should a party that came second in so many places get lots of representatives in parliament and how would you allocate them? You would have to remove some of the constituency winners to do so.

Pretty accurate then. The only slightly notable discrepancy was the 10-12 given to the Tories that ended up with the Lib Dems.
It was much closer than the BBC prediction in the middle of the night after quite a few results had come in that gave the Tories around 160.

Curtice said right at the start that the Reform number was iffy because it was a lot of <50% chances.

I'd turned in before a later prediction - I vaguely noticed Curtice revising his predictions around midnight.

Reform UK 4,051,969 Total Votes 4 MPs up to yet

Liberal Democrat’s 3,451,969 Total Votes and 70 MPs

Is this democracy?
Is that what you signed up for? You were misled!

We have the same handwringing in theUS when Republicans actually win the Presidential election with MILLIONS LESS VOTES than the Democrats!

Whether it’s a parliamentary system or a democratic republic you’re looking for, “democracy” isn’t what you’ll find! Expect Reform to decry the vote vs representation outcome and push for some kind of proportional representation in the future, but don’t hold your breath!

In a highly fractured local election system creating a party majority, one party could win every seat by 1 vote, garner the 600+ MPs, have absolute control, yet have only a 600+ countrywide “majority”!! Democracy it is not!

In America, there has been talk of having local elections pick the House and Senate, but have the Presidential election based on a NATIONAL MAJORITY VOTE. That pesky Constitution and the (long dead) belief that the Virginia Colony would always get the Presidency and be a virtual Monarchy (a four letter word to the Founding Fathers!) nixed that almost 250 years ago!!!

And here we sit, wondering whether Alzheimer’s Guy or Dementia Guy is going to win the White House, and which few states are going to win it for him!

You’ll see massive “red states” with virtually no population, looking like they dominate the country, while the densely populated “blue states,” which generate all the money to feed the red states btw, are scattered on the East and West coasts, with IL often looking like an island in the middle of the country!

Be careful what you wish for!

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.