General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 266 56.8%
  • Conservative

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 40 8.5%
  • Reform

Votes: 71 15.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 28 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 10.9%

• Total voters
Thanks, you might be correct for the most part.

But I know people who voted Reform that were ex Labour voters. So it's not just people who flat out refuse to vote Labour.

Either way, i think Farage is a con man. I know most of them are to a degree, so he's not alone in that but he's definitely a spiv.
I agree with this. While I'm sure that Reform took many more votes from the Tories than Labour overall, they definitely took some from Labour too.

I think this is backed up with some interesting results from my constituency Gorton and Denton. It used to just be Gorton until the 2024 boundary change so it's not easy to get a like for like comparison with 2019. Gorton has always been a safe Labour seat though so it's no surprise that Andrew Gwynne won at a canter with 18,555 votes but that was down from 34,583 in 2019. The Conservatives never do well here. They got 4244 votes in 2019 and 2888 this time. However, Reform came second with 5142 votes so I think it's fair to say that in my constituency they took more votes from Labour than the Tories. They weren't the only ones to take votes from Labour though. The Greens came an impressive 3rd with 4810 votes compared to 1697 in 2019, and the Workers Party of Britain came 4th with 3766 votes. The big surprise here was that the Lib Dems came last with just 1399 votes which was down from 2448 in 2019 when they came 3rd out of 5. An odd outlier when you consider how well the Lib Dems have done elsewhere in the country. Oh, and the turnout was only 47% (down from 58.3% in 2019) so while several parties took thousands of votes off Labour, I think it's also reasonable to suggest some Labour voters who voted in 2019 didn't bother voting this time.

Adding up the percentages it seems that around 60% of the vote has gone to let's call Europhile parties.
This is important if the UK really wants to get it's economy back on track.
No, not rejoin (yet) but a new deal now

It’s representative of the areas where the votes were captured. You’re voting for someone to represent an area in parliament. It’s technically not just a vote for the party leader to be PM. How do you decide on representation from a popular vote? The Lib Dem’s purposely targeted seats they could actually win rather than reform which just hoped for the best.
Thanks for explaining how FPTP works:-)

It's still undemocratic

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.