General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 266 56.8%
  • Conservative

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 40 8.5%
  • Reform

Votes: 71 15.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 28 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 10.9%

• Total voters
I've done a check on where Reform votes appear to have made the difference.

In the 182 seats that changed from Conservative to Labour, the Conservative plus Reform vote exceeded the Labour vote in 134 of those, whereas in 48 it didn't (although it was mightily close in some of those).

However in the 60 seats that changed from Conservative to LibDem, it only made a difference in 26, meaning 34 were won regardless of Conservative + Reform votes.

There's no guarantee that every Reform vote would otherwise have gone to Conservatives if Reform hadn't stood of course. Many Labour voters are socially conservative.

Last edited:
Well no they don't. But they have given their mandate for the party to implement the things that were in the manifesto, whether they agree with them or not.
therefore my original post stands :)

PR is like communism, great in theory, falls over in practice, largely due to human nature

therefore my original post stands :)

PR is like communism, great in theory, falls over in practice, largely due to human nature
Bollocks though, because most of Europe uses it and most of Europe manages fine with it. Not even remotely similar to communism, which failed everywhere it was tried. Nor is it some sort of silver bullet to all of the country's problems. But what it clearly is is a fairer system during the actual vote.

No I'm not! There you go again twisting the debate to avoid the simple question i posed. I specifically said it was a minor point. Have a read of my initial post if you dont believe me.

We've had lots of good debates over the years. So I think its best to leave it there.

Cheers
It isn’t a minor point, it’s an insignificant point, poorly timed.

I've done a check on where Reform votes appear to have made the difference.

In the 182 seats that changed from Conservative to Labour, the Conservative plus Reform vote exceeded the Labour vote in 134 of those, whereas in 48 it didn't (although it was mightily close in some of those).

However in the 60 seats that changed from Conservative to LibDem, it only made a difference in 26, meaning 34 were won without Conservative + Reform votes.

There's no guarantee that every Reform vote would otherwise have gone to Conservatives if Reform hadn't stood of course. Many Labour voters are socially conservative.

Probably the main reason why there was never any talk of a pact, like in 2019, is that Reform voters tended to have a really low opinion of the Tories and Rishi. In 2019 they had a high opinion of Johnson and the Tories. Even Farage admitted this time, that there was no point as he couldn't deliver Reform voters to the Tories, in the way he had with Brexit party voters.

There's a strong argument that much of the Reform vote was actually made up of people who would have been Tory > Labour switchers. Certainly knocking on doors yesterday, there were plenty of predicted Labour voters who had clearly gone Reform.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.