General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 266 56.8%
  • Conservative

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 40 8.5%
  • Reform

Votes: 71 15.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 28 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 10.9%

• Total voters
I was about to protest that voter behaviour would significantly change making any projection irrelevant.

But TBH, with one or two adjustments, that's not far from how I see the country at the moment.

It does raise the question of balance of power existing in the hands of the smallest party.

In this case - the Greens - whom I ruled out voting for on the grounds that I suspect Marxist fanatics fleeing Labour are going to attempt to use the party as a vehicle.

I was about to protest that voter behaviour would significantly change making any projection irrelevant.

But TBH, with one or two adjustments, that's not far from how I see the country at the moment.

It does raise the question of balance of power existing in the hands of the smallest party.

In this case - the Greens - whom I ruled out voting for on the grounds that I suspect Marxist fanatics fleeing Labour are going to attempt to use the party as a vehicle.
I think the pr illustration there is caveated by saying a different electoral system may in itself cause different voting patterns/strategies. With fptp you can vote reform or green as a protest safe in the knowledge they will never be in number 10.

Not sure if this has been posted, but any suggestion that Reform won it for Labour is very far from reality.

The figures below would likely have got the Tories a couple of % or so closer to Labour. However given how ruthless the Labour/Lib Dem vote was split (with LDs going Labour where needed most, and vice versa), and Greens going Labour/Lib Dem in tighter seats, it's quite possible that the 32% going Lab/LD/Green would have more than counteracted the 36% going Tory.

Not sure if this has been posted, but any suggestion that Reform won it for Labour is very far from reality.

The figures below would likely have got the Tories a couple of % or so closer to Labour. However given how ruthless the Labour/Lib Dem vote was split (with LDs going Labour where needed most, and vice versa), and Greens going Labour/Lib Dem in tighter seats, it's quite possible that the 32% going Lab/LD/Green would have more than counteracted the 36% going Tory.

I said somewhere yesterday that I thought that the UKIP/Brexit/Reform entity had already taken the majority of votes from Labour at previous elections, and had relatively little purchase on more.

Farage spent a lot of the election campaign targetting the Conservatives, so it doesn't seem a surprise that that's where a lot of his voters might have gone instead.

I think there's one point that a lot are overlooking when they say things like "Starmer got a worse vote share than Corbyn in 2017" - which is true. But there's a reason Corbyn lost.

Let's be honest, the voters permitted Starmer to win. Implicitly, they didn't mobilise to vote against him. They didn't deem him enough of a threat to vote efficiently in opposition - that might not be an endorsement but it is an acceptance. That wasn't the case for Corbyn. People stacked up on the Tories with unprecedented weight specifically to stop him.

So while only a third of the electorate voted for Labour, I think it's fair to say that another 15-30% were somewhere between apathetic about a Labour victory and voting another party to ensure one. Whereas clearly 75% were working actively against the Conservatives which is why they lost.

FPTP creates the perception of binary support when actually it's more nuanced. It is often more about who most of the electorate allow to win rather than who they want to win. I hate it as a system, but the truth is that the voters let Cameron in with 36% in 2010 and now it's the same with Starmer. In FPTP the electorate acts more like a gatekeeper.

We need to fix FPTP, but I'm not suddenly going to promote some new urgency to the topic just because it's the other side of the spectrum that has benefited on this occasion. It's been a problem for decades.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.